Real world MacBook battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by coupdetat, Aug 3, 2008.

1. coupdetat macrumors 6502

I'm looking for the notebook, either Windows or Mac, that has the absolute longest battery life. I don't care about performance (I use a G4), but I just really need something that will run a long time away from an outlet. My school library (UConn) for some reason has a VERY limited number of power outlets... someone really dropped the ball when designing that part.

Anyways. The problem is that I love Macs, but the reports of MacBook battery life I've heard are always really variable, anywhere from 3-6 hours. I rarely use WiFi in the library since I'm usually just typing a paper. With low processor usage, wireless off, what kind of battery life do you guys get?

Right now, my choice is between a MacBook and a Sony G2, but battery life reports from the Sony are even MORE confusing. Some say 5 hours, some say 10, and no one ever states what battery they're using!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4-5 hours on my MacBook using the wireless and with the lowest backlight brightness.

3. dmw2692004 macrumors member

Same here, backlight on the lowest, wifi on, 5 tabs open in firefox, and adium open. 4:30 est time and it is set on "best performance."

If you get coolbook and you clock your processor down a little, you could prolly squeeze out an extra 45 min out of your batter, but I do not see how you would need all 5 hours of battery. Are you going to be sitting in the library ALL day?

4. coupdetat thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I think I'll just opt for a new battery for my PB G4 since I can get 4.5 hours just on that. Maybe the updated MacBooks will have something interesting!

And yes, I spend 10+ hours at the library sometimes :) It's not hard to do when you are incredibly slow at comprehending classes!

5. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

ive get 5:38 on my mb when i turn my bt off airport off and brightness to 0

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Airport and 5 Brightness - 3 - 4 hours!
    Airport and 1 brightness - 4 - 5 hours
    No Airport and 1 brightness - 5 - 6+ hours
    Airport full brightness and Ripping DVD with iTunes playing music: >1 hour

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. monkeyone macrumors newbie

5-5,5 hours with WiFi and BT on, screen on lowest. pretty pleased with that :D

9. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

I get around 5.5-7 hours, depending on what I'm doing.

10. actorkid macrumors 6502

I've got a question about my mb's battery life

is this normal?

i have a penryn blackbook...bought in march

I'll have airport on, and bluetooth on with brightness up half way as I stream HD episodes of LOST off of ABC's website

by 1.5 hours im down to 45% battery

is this about right?

i hardly every have my mb running on its battery, as i use it as a desktop with external monitor/mouse/keyboard 90% of the time

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Generally normal.

I know people mentioned about their 4,5,6,7 hr battery life, but unless you have to, those are not really comfortable way of using laptop. I mean, lowest to 1/3 screen brightness, no Wi-Fi, no BT, no video play.... conserve battery is fine, but don't be too focused on that unless you have to.

12. coupdetat thread starter macrumors 6502

Are the ABC streams Flash? That will drain your battery really fast, my laptop fans are always on max when Flash is doing anything.

13. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink