Real-world MBP LAN data rates ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drsox, Feb 9, 2012.

1. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

I'm looking for some real-world user experience in MacBook Pro Gigabit LAN speeds.
    Are there users who can quote me actual receive/transmit data rates in a wired network config of : MBP>GB Switch>GB NAS (or another GB enabled device) ?

I currently have an MBA and the one thing I am looking for now is faster networking (for moving multi GByte files around). Yes, I could buy a TBD and use that, but it's a lot for just a faster LAN interface (probably the only feature I would really value). OR I could swap for an MBP (OR wait for a TB enabled hub etc).

In my Win7 days (now over), I was used to simultaneous transmit and receive >50Mbyte/sec speeds with an Intel Pro/1000PT through a series of Netgear GS108tV1s to a Netgear ReadyNAS Pro NAS.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

My Gigabit transfer speeds are limited by my hard drive's speed. How's that for an answer?

3. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

Gigabit LAN data rates will generally be slower than a modern Hard Drive's data rates.
    My configs have had a Sata 2 SSD for the past 4 years or so and the NAS can usually do 100+ Mbytes/sec.

Anyone with actual data ?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

I was speaking of my internal(platter) hard drive. It benchmarks at roughly 55-65MB/s, and that's the speed I get transferring files over the ethernet port.

A SSD would transfer even faster, that's a given.

Gigabit ethernet can hit a theoretical 125MB/s, given that the computers(or hard drives) connected to it can read/write that fast. With low inteference and short cable runs, you could probably hit roughly 110-115MB/s with SSD's on both ends.

I'm not sure what more you want as an answer?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think there's been too many people wanting to make actual measurements mostly because there is little need.

People use NAS for secondary storage mediums, and transfer speeds are not critical. You don't need a fast large pipeline to stream music or hold images.

When people do want faster bandwidth, they typically go with FW or TB at this point.

My only suggestion is to set up some tests yourself, I don't mean this harshly but rather its important to you, but for most others it is not.

There seems to be a lot of lan benchmarking software out there on the net for windows but I don't see too much for OSX

6. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

Thanks, but the data (if it were to be available) would help to assess whether a move to an MBP would actually be worthwhile.

Since the answers seem to be hard to obtain, I'll probably not risk the investment but find another way to get decent GBLAN rates.

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

^ This. I have a MBP and a gigabit network with a NAS but I always use WiFi with the MBP.

Gb = gigabit. GB = gigabyte.

8. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

Correct English spelling for "a MBP" is "an MBP" since there is a presumed "e" in this situation at the beginning of the pronunciation of the "M" - "eM".

9. drsox thread starter macrumors 65816

drsox

Thanks.

Yes, just what I want - but not yet here. Same as the mythical Sonnet TB to LAN adaptor that was announced in 2011.
    Hopefully the Belkin one is a bit more real as this is the second time they have "announced" this device.