Real world performance 13" rMBP vs 15" rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applied2, Nov 21, 2013.

1. applied2 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide on a laptop and I was wondering what the real world performance is between a 13" rMBP and a 15"?

I've seen benchmarks on how they compare with the 15" doing quite a bit better, but I'm wondering how this translates to real world performance.

For example, how long does it take to open everyday larger programs like Outlook, or compiling code or video encoding.

The size of the 13" appeals more to me, but before I make that decision I'd like to make sure I'm not giving up a lot of performance for the convenience of it being easier to carry.

Thanks for any info.

2. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

for standard usage, like office or simple editing, you cant see significant performance.
    but, when u try multitask application, editing video/photo and work with many framework (for developer), i suggest to 15 retina.

I'm using 15r and happy with that... i think, dual-core (13) vs quad-core (15) is a logic comparisson...

3. DayVe3000 macrumors member

I bought a 2012 13" MBP with retina display (2.5GHz i5 with HD4000) and soon sold up for a 15" (2.3GHz i7 with HD4000 and dPGU).

I found the 13" was spot on for day to day tasks, but wanted a bit more power (and screen real estate to be honest) so made the step up for a few more hundred.

Although I'm not a pro user - I do notice the additional power and the over all experience is a better.

Worth the extra money though - I guess it depends on your own personal needs and situation.

If it helps, Ive never thought twice about the extra money I had to spend. I was content with my 13", but im happy with the 15".

4. applied2 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. richard371 macrumors 68000

The problem unlike previous 15" MacBooks you have to spend 2600 to get the dgpu otherwise I wouldn't bother. That makes it almost twice the price as the mid 13". If you absolutely don't need the power you could buy the 13 and the thunderbolt monitor.

6. Kevclark1985 macrumors member

This is exactly why I think the 13" mid range is the perfect apple laptop for the majority. The price diff between the 13" mid range and base 15" is too much for what you gain unless you really need the quad-core (and the bit extra screen size).

If you really need the extra power and graphics you have to go up to the top model with dGPU and as stated, costs about double the price of mid range 13". It's a massive jump up.

For this reason I went with the 13", it's a premium price for a laptop obviously, but not the eye watering cost of the top 15" model that you would prob only buy if you needed for your livelihood or money was no option. 13" is an obtainable and very good laptop for a lot of regular users that don't need huge horsepower for their tasks.