Real World Performance of 2008 Macbook versus 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imorton, Apr 12, 2011.

1. imorton macrumors 6502

Hello Everyone, I need your expert opinions.

I am struggling with I WANT a new 2011 Macbook Pro 13", but do I really NEED one? What are the REAL WORLD or REAL LIFE performance differences will I see, versus my current early 2008 Macbook 4.1 (sata1), with 4g ram and a new SSD (Vertex2 180g).

I use my computer for general tasks life Safari (12 tabs open), Parallels Desktop VM with XP, the usual iPhoto, iTunes, aMSN, iCal, Mail, etc…. no gaming or video editing, and I have it all connected to a 24" external monitor, and occasionally take the laptop to my clients. My current Macbook is snappy with the new 180g Vertex2 SSD, and has a new battery and Applecare till Oct-2011. It boots in 26 sec and shutdown in 4 sec.

My Questions are:

1) Real World performance differences with a new 2011 MBP with my Vertex2 SSD, versus my current sata1 Macbook with SSD?

2) Is it worth spending $550 dollars for a 240g Vertex3 SSD for the new machine versus my current Vertex2 SSD?

3) My current setup works fine with no heat, fan, or freezing issues, yet the new 2011 MBP 13" seems to have quite a few threads or issues reported here in the forums?

4) My current MB with sata1 limits my SSD sped to @ 125Mbs read/write, yet the new 2011 MBP are sata III. What real world difference will I see with a Vertex2 or Vertex3 SSD in a new 2011 MBP.

5) Should I just keep my current MB and wait for the next refresh…EX: better support for Thunderbolt, Lion OS, Ivy Bridge, etc... When is it anticipated?

Decisions Decisions…… :)

Thanks for all your help and replies, IAN...

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

I'd wait for the redesign at the end of this year.

3. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

I'd keep rocking out your 2008 machine and see what the next refresh brings.

4. Blipp macrumors 6502

Why do so many people seem convinced that not only will Apple refresh the MBPs again this year, before Ivy Bridge mind you, after already giving us the largest speed boost to the MBP line yet but that it will come with a complete redesign as well? A complete redesign of the MBP line will not come with Sandy Bridge processors as they simply run too hot to make the enclosures any smaller. Ivy Bridge brings more power with less heat and is the perfect processor to accompany a redesign of the MBP line but it's not going to be here before Feb 2012 and I'd be more inclined to expect it in May/June.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

You'd see faster speeds for your SSD moving to the new computer. You wouldn't see a difference between the Vertex 2 and Vertex 3 in your current machine. So do you have a plastic macbook now? You'd see a pretty decent boost, I'd guess, by moving to a new machine, but not a night/day difference, as your activity is pretty light duty. If you can get like $500 or $600 for your current machine, it would be a good time to upgrade. You can get a 13" MBP for $995 right now. that's a pretty good deal.

6. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

Current or New machine

I agree with you all, as I should stay with my current machine, yet a Sata3 2011 MBP is enticing. I could just grin and bear it and stay with my 2008 MB, but the benchmarks for a 2011 MBP with a Vertex3 are impressive.

But a new 2011 MB 13" and a 240g Vertex3 SSD and applecare etc... is easily $2300-2400 dollars, so that is quite a price to pay for extra speed...?

If I put my current Sata-II 180gig Vertex2 SSD in a 2011 13" MB, what kind of real life difference will I see, compared to a Sata-I bus 2008 Macbook?

Thanks for all your help, IAN...