Real World Perks You Expect from Next Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drrich2, Dec 13, 2007.

1. drrich2 macrumors member

Hi:

Like many here, I'm hoping for a MacPro update at Mac World, ideally a powerful Penryn without too great a price jump.

I've been browsing threads here & elsewhere trying to get a handle on what benefits this wait would entail vs. buying now. I'd like to run it by you guys & see what we're hoping for. Some of this is buried in other threads amidst a lot of technical discussion, so I'm aiming for a streamlined, simple version.

I'm a home user planning to run Leopard & Parallels/VISTA Home Premium for general use & I've got a new Sony HD camcorder so I hope to do some HD video editing under Windows or Mac (iMovie or, on Windows, Pinnacle Studio Plus, not high-end stuff). So I want plenty of raw power.

From what I've gleaned, a move to Penryn might give:

1.) 5-10% performance increase. That's not much. But it can handle specialized instructions that, if future software is written to take advantage, might speed some things along a good deal, including video processing. Wonder how good?

2.) Lower power, cooler running chip. Maybe the system stays cooler so fans stay quieter? But I'm reading current MacPros are already pretty quiet.

3.) Perhaps most important of all, a powerful new mainstream ATI or inVidia video card option so you don't need to buy a MacPro with the lowest end, chunk it (a waste) & replace it with one you then 'flash' (I'm not up on this) if you want powerful, current power.

Which raises the question of how much impact these powerful gaming cards actually have on working with HD video, as opposed to running high-end games & doing scientific 3-D modeling.

I may have some gross misunderstandings here, for which I apologize in advance, but I'm trying to learn as I go.

So, given that some people are waiting months to get the next generation MacPro instead of settling for the much-loved current version, what benefits do you realistically hope to get in return?

Richard.

P.S.: Also advance apologies to those who may think the topic's been done to death. I've read in other threads & they go into such depth in places I get lost.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At a minumum, expect this stuff

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/5400/index.htm

to replace this older 5000 chipset.

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/HardwareDrivers/Conceptual/Mac_Pro_0704/Articles/arch.html

---

Get the new CPUs, the new chipset, if the machine layout doesn't change most of the I/O should remain similar -- with PCIe gen 2, likely all the slots will change over.

Expect more than a 5-10% performance increase at the same clock speed, the increased cache and FSB may make it a bit more... and the possible switch to quad core CPUs likely much much more at the same price points.

3. drrich2 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I looked at the links; I'm not tech-savy enough to get a good sense of just how much difference that'll make in real world terms, although I suppose we'll have to wait for actual systems & benchmarks to find out.

I'm really looking forward to a modern video card option! All the while wondering whether they give much added benefit working with HD video (I don't play a lot of modern 3D action games, although I'd like it to be capable of that).

It'll also be interesting to see whether & how much of a price jump we're looking and, and the wait time to actually get a BTO next-gen. MacPro on your desk.

After all, even if Jobs announces them at MacWorld, that's not the same as having it!

Richard.