Real world rMBP thoughts for video and photo editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by olisones, Sep 4, 2012.

1. olisones macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm now in a position to throw in my Air and 24" iMac and grab a rMBP and a cinema display. I've been reading with interest how people are finding their new machines, but just wondered if anyone has had any 'in the field' experiences that are worth sharing with regards to video and photo editing. I generally edit using premiere pro and photoshop, plus Aperture for RAW. I wanted to streamline my workflow with one machine and I'm thinking the rMBP is the one for the job..

Has anyone had any 'clangers' they think are worth knowing before taking the plunge?

Cheers,

Oli

2. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

I'm using it for Photography and I love it ! The screen is a bit small for editing photo's but very good on the go to view images :)

I think you should purchase it and test it out! If it doesn't satisfy you then return it.

3. olisones thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I see you're using the same setup that I would be getting (and camera!). Any issues with RAW?

Oli

4. jacktorrance macrumors regular

I purchased my rMBP [2.6ghz, 16gb, 512gb] specifically to streamline, and improve, my photography and film editing workflow.

I haven't looked back and wouldn't consider another machine for quite a while.

I predominantly use Lightroom for photography, FCP for film and whilst FCP is natively retina Lightroom isn't. That can cause some issues when editing in a similar way to photoshop, but with support for retina displays seemingly imminent I'm not concerned [but am tremendously excited].

It is, of course, a pleasure to use when not working, too.

5. Textureboy macrumors 6502

Textureboy

Reason why I look Mac so much because it opens raw files normally like a regular file. Windows is such a hassle with its plug ins etc -_-

Overall images look amazing on the Retina! No issues with RAW :)

----------

I forgot to mention I also got a 1TB portable external HDD ( usb 3.0) , love it. Never have to worry about space :)