Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in how the water resistance of the 7 / 7+ has affected you in your daily usage.

I'm not talking about purposely submurging your phone or running it under the tap.

I'm asking whether you've been caught in the rain and continued using your phone. Or did you get some great outdoor shots while raining? Maybe you fell into a pool?

I've not yet been in a scenario where I've needed the water resistance, but with winter coming up, I'm looking forward to using the phone as normal during bad weather rather than putting it in my pocket and worrying.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Nothing yet but will be testing it out more. Was throwing it down with rain yesterday and it’s good to know I can take my phone with me and pop it on the stand in the shower and listen to podcasts or something and not worry

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
Used it in the rain last week to send a couple text messages. But that's not nothing I haven't done with my 6s plus...or 6 plus...or any other iPhone really. Was a lot more care free feeling about it though. Wasn't as worried.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
was soaking in the tub the other day and actually didn't worry at all about having my phone over the water. I haven't ever dropped my phone in the water and I didn't test it out that day but I was much less worried thats for sure.

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
Nothing yet but will be testing it out more. Was throwing it down with rain yesterday and it’s good to know I can take my phone with me and pop it on the stand in the shower and listen to podcasts or something and not worry
There was a user here that did this (phone in shower) when the iPhone 7 just came out. His device failed as a result of this, seems YMMV.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
There was a user here that did this (phone in shower) when the iPhone 7 just came out. His device failed as a result of this, seems YMMV.

Think it's only an issue if you get shower gel of soap on it but with normal water should be fine

Reactions: miss.manson

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
was soaking in the tub the other day and actually didn't worry at all about having my phone over the water. I haven't ever dropped my phone in the water and I didn't test it out that day but I was much less worried thats for sure.

just remember that water with soap has lower surface tension than pure water. and there also higher humidity... water drops vs soapy water or steam is not exactly the same thing.

Reactions: oftheheavens

Dormammu

macrumors 65816
Not doing anything more risky but good to know if I get caught in rain I have "less" to be concerned with.

Yep, I'm in the same boat. It will take me a long while to get used to the idea of deliberately putting my mobile device in the water. It does make me more comfortable to know that if something unforeseen happen to my phone involves water it should be better off than before though.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in how the water resistance of the 7 / 7+ has affected you in your daily usage.

I'm not talking about purposely submurging your phone or running it under the tap.

I'm asking whether you've been caught in the rain and continued using your phone. Or did you get some great outdoor shots while raining? Maybe you fell into a pool?

I've not yet been in a scenario where I've needed the water resistance, but with winter coming up, I'm looking forward to using the phone as normal during bad weather rather than putting it in my pocket and worrying.
The difference is that now I take my iPhone with me when I do exercise. Before I left it at home (or sometime put it in a zip-lock bag). It has been out in the rain several times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.