Realiable and cheap SSD for macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by esadb, Sep 23, 2011.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Been meaning to get a SSD and some ram for my macbook (c2d, 2.26ghz, 2gb ram)

The ram I am not to worried about that's easy to figure out.

Now the SSD I have been looking at prices and they seem to vary quite a bit, I think a 128gb should be enough and I can use the current drive that's in the mac 250gb and put in an external enclosure.

Any recommendations on what drive? I am trying to stay on the cheaper side, plan is to sell the kinect sensor I got and add some funds and get a drive.

Hit me with some recommendations.

2. RLesko macrumors member

The top two brands would probably be OWC or crucial drives. They are SSD's, its not possible (to my knowledge) to find them for "cheap". Be preprepared to spend about $200 on a 128 gb ssd.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Another option is the Seagate Momentus XT which is a hybrid 500 GB 7200 RPM / 4GB SSD drive. It uses the SSD as "cache" so read response is SSD-like but the cost is closer to a normal hard drive than an SSD drive while performance is closer to an SSD drive than a normal drive.

I have one in my 2.4 Ghz Macbook, along with 4 GB of RAM and it's like having a new machine.

4. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Hmm I didn't even know about those. Seems like a pretty solid drive, some great reviews online about it.

That might be a better price point then, their currently $99 at various online places.
    Mind if I ask how much you paid for yours? Perhaps they will be dropping in price soon?