Realistic alternative to the iPad....? With Poll

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DryEyez, Nov 18, 2011.

?

Will you consider buying an Archos tablet and is it any good??

1. Yes - Archos tablet looks spiffy and I will consider buying one

5 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. No - There is no match for the iPad and Archos does not look that great

57 vote(s)
    91.9%
  1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

So, I recently saw that Archos have released Generation 9 of their product, in a 8inch version and 10inch version. You also don't have to worry about buying a 3G model or wifi model as it's the same thing, you just buy a separate 3G dongle if you want to upgrade it, plug n play.

I've been an Apple fan and Archos fan for many years, looking at this new tablet I would say for the £200 price tag, half the cost of an iPad this looks very tempting. It's android but for the £200 price tag it looks as though it has as good functionality as any android tablet out there for an amazing price.

What do you guys think? I've added a poll and below a youtube video link so you can have a quick look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAXJLIt1p-E

PS - Sorry for duplicate thread, the other one bugged... :D

2. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Aesthetics plays a large part in how I select the items I use everyday. If two items are of practically identical function, I will pay a premium to get the one that looks the most beautiful to me.

Besides that, I also value the reputation for service and stability of the company that makes the item.

3. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

the archos looks great, for a cheap tablet running honeycomb.

the ipad has lots of annoying limitations that restrict our ability to customize, but i would take it any day over a tablet with a poor screen, crappy body, lousy design, etc. lots of options (3g, hard drive, etc.) aren't going to drastically impact my experience.

at the end of the day, there is only room in my bag for one tablet, and i will take the one that will not only survive the trip, but will be a pleasure to use.

i am sure there is a market out there for archos. but, it won't be me :)

5. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

6. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

In what way jca? I had assumed that the Archos tablet would have received a good reception on MR, I know a lot of people on here use android tablets, I'm looking at maybe purchasing the Archos so would very much welcome all criticism of it. Besides it being "junk" what features of it are reasons for a non-purchase specifically? At first glance I think it looks like a great competing tablet

7. jca24, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011

jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

I am no android fan. This tablet does not run the latest android os, it is plastic, most likely feels like a toy. Just my opinion.

:apple:

8. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

There isn't one. Especially not that Archos junk.

This is something of an indication:

http://royal.pingdom.com/2011/11/17/apples-ipad-owns-88-of-global-tablet-web-traffic/

Apple’s iPad owns 88% of global tablet web traffic

“There should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that Apple’s iPad is the biggest seller in the tablet space, but we have seen many iPad competitors come out over recent months, including Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Blackberry PlayBook, Amazon Kindle Fire, and many more,” Royal Pingdom reports.

“However, despite all these Android tablets, according to comScore in October 2011, 95.5% of all tablet web traffic in the U.S. comes from iPad,” Royal Pingdom reports. “That is a stunning number. So, is anyone really buying all these shipping Android tablets, and what do people do with them after they buy them?”

“We used the StatCounter data to calculate how the tablet market is divided today,” Royal Pingdom reports. “In this analysis iPad accounts for almost 88% of tablet web traffic, Android for about 11% and the others trail far behind. Out of these operating systems, the only one that exists purely on tablets is iOS, but we strongly suspect that this is a good reflection of reality.”

9. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

LTD regardless of your quotes and stats, the point of the thread is not to argue the iPad is king of tablets, I think everyone knows that, but as a realistic alternative goes, my question posed really is if the Archos tablet, with a 250gb HDD is a good alternative to the iPad in respect to it's android competitors really.

10. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

The answer is no (like I already stated above.) Look at your poll results.

If you really want the Archos, though, and you're actually asking our permission in the guise of gauging opinion (that happens a lot), then just get that Archos tablet.

11. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

I am definitely gauging opinion on whether to buy it or not, I'm looking for reasons though as well, what specifically is "wrong" with the Archos as opposed to say possibly other android tablets/iPad

What drawbacks are there to an Archos in comparison to the tablet market. I don't know myself if it is a good tablet, or if it is worth buying. I'm not for or against the Archos, at the moment indifferent. I would in a second buy an iPad, but for my personal needs I need a 7 or 8 inch screen, the iPad is too big for my needs

12. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

You're willing to go for 8 inches, but an extra 2 inches (plus everything else you're getting with an iPad) you're unwilling to consider? :confused:

This isn't a smartphone you carry in your pocket. If you're going to get a proper tablet, then get one at the right size. You're a mere 2 inches away from an iPad.

13. palpatine macrumors 68040

get the archos if you want it. you have already ruled out the ipad by stating that you want a smaller screen, so i am not sure what the point of the poll is.
    i do not own a samsung note, but it seems like a far better device. what attracts you about the archos besides the endless options available to make a cheap tablet more expensive. i don't see the appeal.

14. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a good point LTE, something I guess I should reconsider.

Palpatine the poll is for other people not me :D if they would consider an Archos. For me I need a smaller screen, though I will definitely consider what LTE said. I'm just trying to size up, whether or not, an Archos would be a decent alternative that I could be happy with, as opposed to all of the other endless tablets out there. I personally don't know much at all about this tablet and haven't found any decent reviews, so just trying to sum up whether this is a contender in the tablet market, one which will have the functionality which others have

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

the poll is something like asking if a segway is a realistic alternative to a maserati. and, our answers are: yes, or no, there is nothing comparable to a maserati. it doesn't even make sense to me...

sure, they'll both get you from point a to point b, but they are directed at an entirely different market. so, it kind of depends on your budget and what you want to get out of the device, right? they both function just fine.

look at the reviews all over the internet for other tablet makers, and i think you will see that the archos is definitely not a major player. it's fine and all, but depending on what you want to do, the kindle fire, samsung note, or any number of other tablets out their will clearly be a better product.

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Then I suggest you modify your poll question.

I voted no, because I don't particularly like Archos tablets, but that's only half of the voting statement:

"No - There is no match for the iPad and Archos does not look that great"

I'm still evaluating alternative tablet options. The Playbook is on sale for $199 here in Canada, and there are plenty of other first-tier tablets at this price point (Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox, Nook Tablet).

I did own an iPad 1 for almost a year, and sold it after I got an iPhone. I really liked the iPad, but now that I have the iPhone, I don't need a tablet to do all the same things that the iPad did. I wouldn't mind a smaller device too. A good 7" tablet might be perfect.

17. skywalkerluke macrumors newbie

18. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

99% of industrial designers have no artistic sensibility. They all need to go back to school, and preferably in Germany.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It comes down to whether you will be happy with Android.

Also, unless the tablet already comes with LTE and ICS, do not assume it will get the upgrade.

You should go to a Android forum and ask them what they think of the Archos, and whether its he best choice for an Android tablet. Asking there if its better than an iPad is like asking here if the iPad is better than an Android tablet. You will never get an even answer because almost everyone is slanted towards their preferred platform.

These three simple steps will get you a better answer.

1. Decide if you want an Android tablet.
    2. Ask on a forum that has hands-on experience with more Android tablets so you can learn which Android tablet fits your needs more.
    3. Realize that being less expensive does not in and of itself mean something is better.

20. poloponies macrumors 68030

I'm failing to follow the logic in that you didn't need the iPad because your new iPhone did "all the same things" your iPad did BUT "a 7" tablet might be perfect." In which case, it'll still do all the same things as your iPhone now does - BUT BIGGER?

In any case, this just underscores the argument that people use their tablets differently and have different expectations. That doesn't necessarily dictate that Apple should produce 30 different iterations of size and functionality. They've picked a niche to work in and others are finding their own niches.

No law requires the purchase of one device over another. Anyone buying an iPad without a use for it is foolish. But anyone buying a $200 device expecting to get the same user experience as they would with an iPad is kidding themselves. It may well suit your needs, but that's more a function of having realistic expectations.

21. PeturR macrumors newbie

Galaxy Tab 10" is pretty good.. but we can only buy it @ ebay...

22. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I have not been impressed with Archos' tablets. They've been a mixed bag of quality with regard to hardware, specs, software.

If one doesn't need a camera, then I would highly recommend a nook Color. It costs only $200, is easily and safely rooted and jailbroken. I had one (to supplement my iPad 2) for 8 months or so and loved it. Very responsive, high quality hardware.

23. Liquinn Suspended

You buy technology for looks? Eh?

24. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I might have worded that better. I really liked my iPad, but even when it was the only device I owned, sometimes found it awkward to carry. At 10" it isn't quite pocketable. (Granted, a 7" device is probably no better in that regard.) For example if I had it with me and I went shopping, I hid it under the seat of my car so I didn't have to carry it all over the mall. And one time I forgot it in a restaurant because I had set it down by my feet and forgot about it when I left. Thankfully it was still there when I remembered 30 minutes later!

Ultimately I was "forced" to give up my iPad because of strict IT security policies at work -- tablets were forbidden from the workplace. But iPhones seem to be allowed. (I know, I know... don't ask.) So I went and got an iPhone. For a few months I had both. But because the iPhone was always in my pocket and the aforementioned (lack of) portability, the iPad tended to stay home. On the other hand, I really missed the bigger screen when browsing, playing YouTube videos, and I never worried about battery life on the iPad whereas I have to keep my iPhone topped up every day and I watch that battery meter religiously. Eventually I sold the iPad to a friend.

I guess what I'm saying is that I miss the big screen so I would like a tablet again, but I'm willing to consider a cheaper and less fully-functional alternative because this time, arguments like "but it doesn't have a camera!" can be met with "well, that's OK, I have the camera on my iPhone". And because I liked the big screen of the iPad (but a bit TOO big to carry conveniently) and the portability of the iPhone (but it's a bit TOO small to use like a tablet), I feel like perhaps 7" is a reasonable middle ground.

I hope that makes sense. Oh, and absolutely agreed that different people have different needs, which is further reason why I think that "there is no match for the iPad" is a meaningless statement.

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Unless you are the kind of person who has a bag of some sort with you when you're out, or has really baggy pants with huge pockets, I don't see a 7" iPad being more portable than the current one. You'll be more inclined to want to take it out of the house, but when you leave the car then same issue presents itself.