Realistic Computer requirements to run Finalcut Studio 2

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ercw, Dec 7, 2007.

1. ercw macrumors regular

I have a dual 2 ghz G5 with 2.5 GB of ram.

am I fooling myself?

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

for FCP, DVDSP, and Soundtack, you'll be fine.

for motion and color, it'll be GPU dependent. but with the GPU's available for the G5s, they will definitely be slow. It will probably be usable for DV, but not HD.

3. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

It all depends on what you are editing, but for the system you have, you would smoke through DV footage. HDV is always a pain in the ass of a codec, always requiring long renders.

4. HDproducer macrumors member

I have dual G5 2 with 5.5GB ram and the other posts are correct. FCP, Soundtrack, and DVDSP are all great. Color, I tried a few times but way too slow. Motion is barely useable but I can still do some nice 2D stuff. 3D is out of the question. I am upgrading my graphics card so hopefully that will help me.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the upgrade to FCS 2, on your G5. Just a lot of cool stuff, you still cant do. But I'll see what happens with the new graphics card.

5. dave@toastmedia macrumors member

Dual 2.5ghz PPC
    3 gigs of ram
    9800 / 256 ATI

I will add more ram after christmas and ramp up the video card.
    Its acceptable to run in front of clients and a few render times adds to the hours anyway ;)

Runs like a Dream, except motion slows down a little if your trying to render the preview in a higher mode, however lowering the render until you finally output and its fine.

Im cutting the HVX202 Cam footage in 720p and 1080i without rendering much at all, after 5 layers of video with a few composite modes it asks me for a few seconds of my time. It lets me cut move and additive dissolve without any render waiting.

If your serious, keep everything off the machine that is not video related or make a user account that loads the bare minimum for editing so your saving the horsepower for the job;)

This is a daily app usage without much fuss.

FCS2 Bundle
    shake 4.1

Logic 7.2

Shop cs3
    Illus cs3
    Flash cs3
    DW cs3

Maya 8.0