Realistic daily budget in Australia?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cromulent, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'm about to set off on my backpacking trip in a months time and am having trouble working out how much to set as my daily budget in Australia.

I was thinking of AUS$50 - AUS$60 a day. Does that sound realistic for someone who does not mind staying in really cheap hostels and will be taking the bus to most places?

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It's pretty expensive in Aus. $AU50-$60 would cover the cheapest backpacking accommodation in most cities. Food and activities will be on top of that. $AU100 would be a bit more reasonable if you want to do an activity a day that costs $. You could probably get by on less if you were just going to the beach or wandering around the cities/national parks.

3. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

Thanks, that is a bit more than I was expecting but still okay.

As an aside, what is the economy like in Australia? I have a 12 month working visa is the job market reasonably healthy? I'll just be looking for casual work (bars, labouring, grape picking etc).

I have got 3 years work experience working in a winery so I guess I could get a job with an Australian wine producer.

4. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Hi!

My gf and I just finished a 1 year working holiday in Australia.

If you're from the UK, you'll find Australia pretty cheap, except in the big cities.

I'd strongly advise you against travelling by bus. It's really expensive, and doesn't really give you any freedom. I'd get a cheap car, unless you plan on living in cities for long periods of time. In the end a car and a tent (or a car you can sleep in) will make you save a lot of money and give you real autonomy. Are you travelling alone? You can put ads in hostels to get a travel buddy and share costs. Some friends of ours bought a AU$1000 commodore, and drove it all around the country. Just make sure it's mechanically sound, and has a roadworthy certificate, although repairs are also pretty cheap. If it needs an expensive repair, just give it to the local mechanic for scraps, and get a new one. Really. We wanted a 4WD so we got a great Pajero we could sleep in, with a trailer to carry all our stuff but that's because we had a lot of diving gear. Most backpacker couples have enough with a Commodore or Falcon station wagon.
    Best places to buy cars are, depending on your budget, those free or cheap 100% classifieds magazines, the backpackers carmarket (but beware of wrecks), ads in hostels and the most expensive option: used car dealers.

About your budget, I'd say you can get a dorm bed for $20 to $40 depending on the place or city. Again, a car with the $50 Camps book will save you heaps. National parks are usually free or pretty cheap ($5 per night/person) with some exceptions (Fraser Island comes to mind)

We worked for three months in a hotel in the Kimberley, and made enough money so we didn't have to worry about money again (and we were diving and eating very well). Ask me by PM if you're interested. Based on other people's opinions I'd advise you against doing fruit picking.

Also in case you need it, register on couchsurfing.org

Oh, and if your Mac Pro is homeless I can host it while you're away... Does it come with a monitor? ;)

You'll love it.

Cheers

5. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Where abouts are you planning on going? I'd say you probably could get by with that.

Consider renting a car, as already said buses and trains won't get you everywhere, especially rural locations.
    Also, some national parks do have an entry fee for vehicles, consider an all parks pass if you plan to visit a lot.

Check out this: http://www.yha.com.au/index.cfm?yhaHBtoken=58868362043591904993&

6. Cromulent thread starter macrumors 603

Cromulent

I'm flying into Perth and then planning on making my way to Cairns via Melbourne.

Thank you all for the advice so far. Unfortunately I don't drive so that is not an option for me.