Realistic release date for new Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mnilan, Sep 24, 2011.

1. mnilan macrumors member

Folks:
    Although Apple is probably keeping this a close secret, can someone give me a ballpark idea of how long I will have to wait for the new Airport Express to be released?

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

My guess is that a new Airport Express will be available after October 4th ... probably closer to whenever they put a date for iPhone4s/5 and/or iOS5.

My reasoning is that they've delayed the Express for so long, that the new ones will have features that are directly tied into features found only on iOS5 and the new iPods.

I have no information, nor have I read/heard about any rumors of such. It's just a WAG at this point.

I don't think you'll hear any information about a release date until the week before it does show up. No one's breaking down doors or bribing the manufacuturers for info like they do for the iOS devices.

ft

3. mnilan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

ftaok:
    I was just looking for an approximate date. As long as it comes out before Thanksgiving, I'm good. Appreciate it.

4. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Is there some new feature on the new Express that I haven't heard about?

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

There hasn't been many rumors with the AirExpress at all. As far as rumored features, it's anyone's guess.

At this point, it seems obvious that the next Express will have the following:

Final 802.11n
    Gigabit ethernet port​

I'm guessing (hoping?) that they'll add in Airplay/iOS integration to the next Express.

6. joudbren macrumors regular

Thought I'd revive this thread instead of starting a new one. I fully expected the new Airport Express to be available by now so just checking to see if anyone has any updates on this? Thanks!

James

7. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

My guess: it gets discontinued and is replaced by a new Apple TV that has a stereo jack in addition to the optical output.

8. SR45, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Airport express is a small router (wireless) that is used by many on the road (hotels and such), so why would Apple discontinue it for the Apple TV (Slightly larger) that one will not need for the road or am I missing something here ?

9. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing that most Airport Express users don't take it on the road. Just a hunch...

10. joudbren macrumors regular

I always take mine on the road. Just sayin'...

James

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You'd be surprised by how many do take it on the road, as it quickly makes a wireless network in a hotel room, or can be used to play AirTunes on any speakers. I never travel without it. They're not going to replace it with Apple TV.

12. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I bet it gets updated without any big advertising. Apple just updated the Extreme and Time Capsules and didn't even really mention it.

13. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

Who says it's getting updated? This is the ipod classic in Apples networking universe. If they were going to upgrade it they would have done it at the same time they upgraded the extreme. I actually thought they did upgrade or change the part number to the express at the same time.

What could they upgrade on the express anyway?

14. misterbig macrumors member

Ditto. My main use for the Airport Express is when I stay in hotels for creating a wireless network to connect my MBA, iPhone and iPad to the internet.

15. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

They could add the same Wi-Fi chip that they added to the Extremes and Time Capsules this year which proved to have much better strength.

16. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

There's lots of things they could do to update the express. Many are simple.

1. Add gigabit ethernet
    2. Add 802.11n final
    3. Make it more compact
    4. Enable USB port for hard drives and thumbdrives