Realistic Release Date of Quad MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macuser154, May 14, 2009.

1. macuser154 macrumors 6502

I will, in the future buy a new MacBook Pro, but I want their to be a significant difference in hardware from my Late 2007 model. So really when is a realistic time for Apple to release a Quad version?

2. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I think their is a chance it may happen in October 2009, but it is far more likely not going to happen until mid/late 2010.

3. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Not clear. The quad mobile Nehalem chipsets from Intel (Calpella) are coming out in the third quarter of this year, but no one knows if Apple will adopt them. Instead, Apple can upgrade to use the dual core Nehalam chips (Arrandale) in the first quarter of next year. There is uncertainty because of power requirements, cost, etc.

4. Performa636CD macrumors member

I'm guessing we'll see quad-core iMacs before we see quad-core MBPs.

5. macuser154 thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't the iMac's use the same type of processors as the Pros? But that is interesting.

6. Performa636CD macrumors member

If you're asking if iMacs use the same CPUs as the Macbook Pros, I think the answer is yes - or at least they're very similar. I've read around the message boards which mention how iMacs are basically more "forgiving" with respect to space and heat issues. So I figure Apple will do the "easier" upgrade first which equates to upgrading the iMacs to Nehalem/quad-core CPUs before they do so with MBPs.

7. bizzle macrumors 6502a