Realistically how significant is the battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steffi, Jun 9, 2009.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

So realistically how significant is the battery?

For me the benefits in the new models over my 2.53 unibody are the ability to go to 8 gig's and the additional battery life I'll get.

Realistically how much additional battery life am I likely to see?

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

if it is truly 40% more, probably 1.5-2 hours depending on your use. If you use it on the go alot, and DO NOT already use multiple batteries, that would be a good thing.

3. pufftissue macrumors regular

I do think that there is nothing special in terms of these batteries except that they are bigger! Whether they last 1000 charges will remain to be seen, but if it can even go half the time they advertise before losing charge(2.5 yrs instead of 5 years), that will be a major win. I think it's the not losing capacity that is the bigger selling point, b/c every laptop I've had deteriorates quickly.

I don't know enough about batteries to say if this is something unique to Apple or if it's all just marketing hype, but HP has a type of battery tech that they bought from Boston battery or something that doesn't lose charge as well for a really long time.

That said, the batteries are undoubtedly bigger, and really should boost battery life by a healthy margin.

Specs are:
    13" 58 watt hours
    15" 73 watt hours
    17: 95 watt hours

The 'regular' 6 cell on a 15" notebook is usually about 56 watt hours, while the 9 cell in the windows world is 84 watt hours.

So I think that the battery life should be pretty darn good, esp for the thinness and weight, since I hate batteries that stick out. I mean, seriously, why not just carry two flush batteries then? Or the AC adapter? It's no impressive feat if your battery is 12 cells but adds an entire inch to the laptop. 73 watt hours in the form factor that Apple has made it is not bad.

I am not worried in the slightest about the battery replacement b/c I can just open up my laptop and do it myself in 3 years when the batteries are all over ebay. It's really not that hard. Unless it's soldered on or something like that. If you can do a hard drive upgrade, you can replace the battery. I can't imagine it being that complicated as I've changed my ipod battery before.

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I've sold laptops by the bushel and Apple is correct on this one.

Once laptop batteries start lasting a leg 4-5hrs (which means you could fly from one end of the CONUS to the other on a single charge) the need for extra batteries really died off.

Everyone always asked about how much the extra batteries cost and then had a visual flash of pain when they heard $150 or $180 etc.

Now you walk into an airport and their are charging stations for phones and laptops. Removable batteries harken back to yesteryear when battery technology simply wasn't as good as today.