Reality Check Please

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jefflmorris, Jun 18, 2009.

1. jefflmorris macrumors newbie

Last October my wife’s T-Mobile contract expired. I gave her my 2G iPhone that I had not used since buying the 3G on launch day. I completely understand that I am not eligible to upgrade yet. However, my wife (with the original iPhone that I paid for and upgraded legitimately) is not eligible to upgrade her phone (any new phone) until July 2010.

When she went to the AT&T store to switch to their service, she was under the impression she was just switching services, not signing a contract (trying to find the contract).

Am I off or does this seem wrong? I already fulfilled the obligations (subsidy) of the iPhone. I guess we were under the impression that since we did not buy a new phone, rather added a line, my wife could get a new phone any time (via signing a new contract).

Thanks

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

If you add a new line, you are eligible for a new phone subsidy IF you commit to a 2year contract.

3. jefflmorris thread starter macrumors newbie

We added a new line without purchasing a new phone. ATT says we signed a 2 year iPhone contract and can not get any subsidized phone until the contract ends.

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

When you added the line did you sign a 2 year contract without getting a phone?

Not sure if this helps but everyone that purchased the original phone at full price was required to sign a 2 year agreement (as you remember). Not sure if this has anything to do with the lower cost $20 per month data plan. When the 3G came out we got a discounted phone but had to pay $30 (plus text) for the data plan. Not sure but maybe they feel with 3G you should pay more because of faster data or because you got a discounted phone.

Anyway with your 3G 1 year old now you might be able to get a new fully discounted phone now. Or were you thinking of getting 2 3gs phones.

5. jefflmorris thread starter macrumors newbie

According to ATT we did sign a 2 year contract but we did NOT get a new phone. We used my old iPhone that had been fully paid for. Seems like we are getting charged the subsidy 2 times for the same phone.

6. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

WOW....how did you let that happen?

7. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I think you can definitely talk to a Supervisor about the issue and get an upgrade if you really want to. Be polite to the CSR and explain the situation. They may be able to help, if not, be even more polite and ask to speak w/ a Supervisor and explain again. Be firm without being irritating. Ask them to check their system going back to the beginning of the line to prove you did not get a subsidized phone from them and should be eligible for an upgrade.

Saying things like "I didn't sign a 2 year contract" aren't helpful either, because you actually did. All new lines of service have a 2 year contract. It's best to insist on an early upgrade and sign a new 2-year agreement.

Good luck!!

8. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Sounds like AT&T is yanking your chain.
    The 2 year contract is gravy for them since they aren't eating the cost of a phone subsidy.
    I suggest you speak to a supervisor and demand they show where in your contract it states you are not allowed to get a subsidized phone if you didn't get one when you signed the contract.

9. jefflmorris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions! When the dust settles from the launch, I am going to head to an ATT store and see I'd I can get things straightened out.