Reality TV

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macDonalds, Sep 30, 2008.

1. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I remember when we got the first wave of reality tv back in oh.. 98-99 with shows like Survivor and Big Brother. Of course we can even trace it back to the Real World in the early 90's.

So he we are, 10 years later and it's still going strong. Off the top of my head there's:

American Idol
    Dancing with the Stars
    So you think you can Dance
    Survivor
    Big Brother

They just don't stop! LOL. Ok, I enjoy some of these. So... which ones have you hooked and which would you wish go away already?

Currently I'm an AI/Big Brother guy. I hate Biggest Loser. Although, of all the shows that at least has some real value to it.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I am conflicted with this thread.

On one hand I would like it to be a poll, but then I expect you were looking for more positive feedback.

As for me, I think "Reality" TV (yes, quotes, you bet quotes *coughscriptedcough*) will be the death, eventually, of episodic TV.

JMO.

Please, mind the old fart, and continue the discussion.

[​IMG]

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

America's Next Top Model :)

There are also a few good ones on VH1, like Flavor of Love Girls Charm School and the upcoming Rock of Love Girls Charm School. I think the dating reality TV shows are played out, and I cannot STAND the Real World. I mean, these people are being kept up in a nice pad for months and yet all they can find to do is fight?! And I'm yet to watch a single episode of American Idol, and have no interest whatsoever in ever watching it.

4. Queso macrumors G4

I'm waiting for the forthcoming Peter Kay spoof show, titled "Britain's Got The Pop Factor And Possibly A New Celebrity Jesus Christ Soapstar Superstar Strictly On Ice" :D

5. bbbensen macrumors 6502

I think that Next on MTV is the greatest and most realistic show I have ever seen.

Not.

6. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I have no idea what you're talking about , I don't own a TV.

Thank goodness too by the sounds of it

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

What I don't understand is how it can still be classed as 'reality'. After catching glimpses of Pop Idol Factor or whatever it was called - everything seemed stage. From the judges reactions, to the deliberately bad acts. Wouldn't reality TV be where the producers and presenters remain natural and unscripted whilst commenting/judging?

Just about the only thing related to reality TV I'm looking forward to.

8. DarkHeraldMage macrumors 6502a

DarkHeraldMage

The only reality TV that I can stand to watch is "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List". That show is just too funny, and I'm so glad it's finally in iTunes (with the exception of season 1).

9. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Oh God, don't even get me started on that, Reality TV makes me want to weep ;)

Seriously, it's a bit nightmarish, because I find the stuff either really, really boring, or even sometimes objectionable. Whichever it is, the evenings where all there is is Reality TV, I'm always sooo frustrated.

The worst is that here, the reality tv shows occupy all of the prime time slots, which is the time when I might also want to relax and watch a movie or a nice TV series (or even a silly one like Gossip Girl or something like that, but a 'real' program, with actors, a plot, and some proper producing and directing). The series etc start after midnight! My favorite, Cold Case, is on sometimes after 1:30 in the morning-and even though it's so late, they still have like 5 ad breaks, most of them for the reality tv shows, so by the time the series is back on, you've forgotten what went on before the break!

Fortunately I've recently discovered SurfTheChannel, and I've gone crazy! lol Watched every episode of Cold Case (except the very last one, which can't seem to load for some reason), and catch occasional episodes of bones and NCIS there too. I watched Sweet Home Alabama there once while doing my nails :p I wish I could get movies and series on itunes like in the us--I'd have better quality by far!, not to metion the ability to watch them on a bigger screen-- but my local itunes only does songs :(

And of course, there's what raggedjimmi said: I'm really irritated at the hypocrisy of calling this stuff reality shows still, when they are so obviously staged. It seems like they are faker than a completely fictional show, precisely because they're pretending they're real!

Anyway basically, I could definitely live without reality tv, that's for sure.

10. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Go without a TV ! ...it's even better !!, I got rid of mine about a year or so ago , been great :D

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I cancelled my cable subscription back in April.

My VCR is blinking 12:00 (various power hits), much like a beacon saying "Why me???"

:p

12. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I wish all reality TV would get lost so I can finally watch something good for once!