Reallocating Memory From One Application to Another

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by OyVey, Nov 6, 2008.

1. OyVey macrumors newbie

__*Reallocating Memory From One Application to Another*_

Is it possible to move disc space from one application to another?

For example, if I need more space for my Documents, while I don't need all the space that I have for the Garage Band, can I rearrange the settings and transfer the Garage Band memory space into the Document settings?

Also, if I'm out of space in Documents settings, but the Mac itself has plenty of space, is there anything I can do to increase the disc space settings for Documents?

Finally, how is it possible that I'm getting "out of disc space" message, when the Mac itself has plenty of space?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Disk space does not 'reallocate' like this. As long as space exists on the disk, it can be used. There are some file systems that place a limit on how much space can be used within a directory, but Apple's is not one of them.

If you are seeing 'out of disk space' you need to find out where the space has gone. Have you emptied the trash? What version of OSx? What Mac?

There are utilities you can find via Google that will give you an inventory of disk space. I'm not familiar with them.

3. OyVey thread starter macrumors newbie

My Mac is new, and according to the Info. I have plenty of space. But when I am working on a word document, I am getting an "out of disc space" message. And I've tried to move my folder in different locations, but that didn't help.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You tried to move which folder? I would suggest if you are new to OSX, not moving any folders until you are a little more familiar with how things work.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

How big is the document? Does a different document work ok? Moving folders around is not a good idea if you don't know what you are doing.