Really 1000 cycles and still 80%?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sahni130, Jun 23, 2010.

1. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

Hello everybody,
    I am a proud owner of a MBP specs in the signature). Everything runs fine but the battery has 18 cycles on it and iStat and Coconut battery are showing a 89% battery health. Is this normal or is my battery defective? Should the health go down 11% after only 18 cycles (supposed to be 80% after 100 cycles and mines 89 after 18 cycles)? I have tried calibrating it but to no avail. :( I get 6-7 hours of battery life with the Apple tested settings (half brightness, etc)

Please offer me some advice.Sorry for the bad grammar and spelling....its 4:30 AM lol...
    Thanks,
    Jay

2. rosas macrumors newbie

first of al let me say i'm kind of a noob here, but as far as i have read here in the forum, apple will replace your battery if it is under 80% after 300 cicles.

if you are getting 80% with a calibrated battery (remember that callibrating is NOT only fully charge and discharge it) then i think you should go to a apple store and check that out because you probably have a defective one.

PS: i have the same macbook pro as you do and i have 100% health on the coconut battery after 33 cicles

3. sauer228 macrumors member

Mine dropped to 95% after the first 2-3 cycles. I'm still getting 7-8 hours so it's really not that big of a deal, but I was a little anxious when it dropped so quickly in such little time. Good to know Apple stands by them if they deteriorate abnormally.

4. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Mine's 98% after 21 cycles, suckers. :p

After reading about how the batteries usually behave straight out of the box it sounds like I just got really lucky. This is the first time I've had the right tools to gauge the battery's capacity and health, so I wouldn't know.

5. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

I am on 474 and 89% health. I think you should get it checked.

6. mansanas macrumors regular

its actually supposed to be 1000 cycles before it goes below 80% for the MBPs right?

anyways.. i can't believe no one has said it it yet... RECALIBRATE your battery!

7. glavoie84 macrumors regular

Mine quickly dropped to ~95% in the first few cycles and has been varying between 90% and 96%, most of the time at the top end of this range. I'm not at 192 cycles after 12 months. I wouldn't worry too much about this unless it still continues to drop.

8. JacaByte macrumors 6502

I've recalibrated it twice, once immediately after receiving the laptop and another time 30 days afterwards, as per Apple specs. The reading is entirely accurate.

9. sahni130 thread starter macrumors 6502

sahni130

Hey guys, thanks for all your help. I've calibrated it about three times now and now the battery shows 92% health. i'm getting decent battery life, about 7 hours at least (3 with youtube, brightness up). So, what do you think? Should I still take it to a Genius ( I fear, that down the road I may have problems with it.) Also, is it okay to go through 1 cycle per day or is that too much?

Sincerely,
    Jay
    Hooah!

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I'm at 100% at 10 cycles. I've only calibrated once, and that was the first day I got it. To be fair though, this is the first time it has shown 100%, the passed couple weeks it's been hovering around 96%-99%.

What I would do is wait a couple more days and see if it gets worse and what not. If it does, take it to the Apple store and they will run a battery diagnostic on your computer, and see what the health is like.

11. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

do wait a little longer even though 89% is a little low for that many cycles

mine has 2 cycles and it's at 98%

if it keeps dropping then take it in

mind that it does fluctuate often