Really annoying bug with 3rd party keyboards

OrlandoTragic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
I've tried this on both Swype and SwiftKey, but basically, when you load a text message and go to reply, the text message behind the keyboard does not scroll to the most recent message - its sort of hard to explain, but with the original keyboard, the space above the keyboard always shows the most recent text message.

Anyone else seeing this?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Yes, I've seen that too and its annoying. I was playing around a bit now and it seems to be resolved in 8.0.2

bzavala

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Having the same issue with Swiftkey. So annoying. And 8.0.2 didn't fix it for either.

I have another issue I think it is related: when the phone is locked and I get an iMessage, when I try to reply, Swiftkey keyboard doesn't show up at all.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
3rd party keyboard integration is horrific. I bought 3 of them and switched back to the apple keyboard since it's integrated much better.

rdstoll

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
I've tried this on both Swype and SwiftKey, but basically, when you load a text message and go to reply, the text message behind the keyboard does not scroll to the most recent message - its sort of hard to explain, but with the original keyboard, the space above the keyboard always shows the most recent text message.

Anyone else seeing this?
Yes I have this exact same issue. Very annoying.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I was really hoping 8.0.2 would fix this but it didn't. Happening to me with Swype and with swiftkey. Also not relegated to messages. it happens with whatsapp and google voice texting. I'm thinking Apple fixed something with 8.0.2 but now the individual devs have to fix something on their end.

Edit: Actually it's not happening in whatsapp or google voice, only messages... so it does appear to be an Apple issue.

Last edited:

tengorazon

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
Yes! Very annoying. And for some reason, Swiftkey suddenly stopped working with text messages. Maybe a reboot will fix it.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Yes tons of issues. I'm just being patient and expect it will work as well as on Android and Windows in about six months or so. I'm just glad we'll get there eventually, whereas before there was no hope.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
It's an ios bug so you'll have to wait for Apple to fix it. Nothing the keyboard app devs can do.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I hope this gets fixed in iOS 8.1, I really like using swiftkey but this bug is annoying since I use it in messages the most.

Deliro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
3rd party keyboards have issues:

-The issue you refer to on this thread
- Stock keyboard being set back as default (only the password revert was fixed in 8.02)
- On spotlight searches the keyboard will randomly not appear
- When using the keyboard I will get random crashes back to the springboard

trebb

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Yes! Very annoying. And for some reason, Swiftkey suddenly stopped working with text messages. Maybe a reboot will fix it.
I've had the same thing happen. 8.0.2, a reboot, and uninstalling/reinstalling SwiftKey didn't do anything. I had deleted the "English" keyboard as well. SwiftKey just stopped working in texts... but everywhere else it still worked. Switched back to the Apple keyboard for the time being. :(

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I have major issues with SwiftKey on an iP5S running 8.02. The landscape keyboard has so many issues that it just wasn't worth using. The keyboard appears in the middle of the screen instead of the bottom. When you finished typing a full screen of text, it scrolls, but the bottom line is still beyond the edget of the window.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
anyone else have a problem sending photos via message using swiftkey? specifically, after you select a photo, and click to send via message.... you cannot see the field where you enter in the contact or phone number of the recipient. It is obscured behind part of the photo. you cannot scroll to see it at all. The only thing you can do is start typing, and a list of suggested contacts will appear. But if you are just trying to enter in someone's phone number, hard to be sure you are entering it correctly if you cannot see it.

gswilder

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
Ditto

Yes having many of the same issues. Text message not scrolling to the end of the messages, so covers up part of the text. Also, still switches back to stock keyboard at times.

Also, is anyone else getting text messaging lock ups? Seems to have something to do when the 3rd party keyboards are being used. But doesnt happen 100% of the time. I have to manually quit the text app and restart.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
3rd party keyboards have issues:

-The issue you refer to on this thread
- Stock keyboard being set back as default (only the password revert was fixed in 8.02)
- On spotlight searches the keyboard will randomly not appear
- When using the keyboard I will get random crashes back to the springboard
same issues as well..

are these from ios bugs or about 3rd party keyboard compatibility?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.