Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
j-a-x said:
Actually, my method is just a temp fix. There is still SOME image degradation, but its hardly visible unless you do like 30 edits. Before my girlfriend's face turned a bright red after 3 edits, now I can do much more than 10 without visibly noticing. You can still tell how the histogram gets distorted when saving edits though...
you're editing your girlfriends face!? :) 30 times!!!!! :D
I really hope this gets fixed - i just ordered iLife 05!

P.S. - It doesn't seem to do it in iPhoto 4.0.3 btw.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Abstract said:
Damn it, my brothers, I didn't know that others were facing the same issues.

PS: So right now, should I just revert to original for every single photo I have edited recently using iPhoto 5? Is that the only solution right now? Does Automator handle this? (I'm not at my Mac right now :( )

The only real "solution" of which I am aware at present is to do every single edit, no matter how minor, in a secondary app such as Photoshop CS / PSE / GIMP.

Unless you can trash iPhoto 5 and go back to 2 or 4, temporarily? I'm not sure if the iPhoto Library will allow you to go backwards or not.

There is one person in the main Tiger thread that claims this issue does not effect an iMac G5, but that person didn't give a lot of details...so they might not be running iPhoto 5! :eek:

Applespider

macrumors G4
mkrishnan said:
Unless you can trash iPhoto 5 and go back to 2 or 4, temporarily? I'm not sure if the iPhoto Library will allow you to go backwards or not.

Nope... not unless you have a backed up iPhoto 4 library. It warns you when you upgrade to 05 that you can't open it in 04 - 05 changed the structure of Albums and where the originals were stored.

It is an intensely annoying bug though... I'm not keen on j-a-x's fix above since it's more of a fudge and still changing image. Anything I 'need', I'll do in Elements until then. It's just not quite so convenient for minor amends.

I'm not sure if there's a way to revert to original across large swathes of images. To be honest, I think it depends on the original picture and the tones in it. I've reverted back on about 40 that looked bad immediately; the rest are fine and I'll live with them. I can always go back later if I think there's a problem.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
James Philp said:
you're editing your girlfriends face!? :) 30 times!!!!! :D

hahah! Well you know what I mean. Not editing but just doing a crop and cropping like 1 pixel to see if the color changes (also doing a retouch on 1 single pixel in the corner then saving). At least it doesn't change too much now after like 30 trials... still, it's rather annoying that it changes at all.

I'm thinking of calling Apple back and giving them my case # and asking them if they figured anything out, since they never emailed me.

I feel sorry for the guy who just bought iLife...

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
iPhoto Buddy

Just wondering:

Is anyone else having problems using iPhoto Buddy on Tiger?
Mine will no longer open multiple libraries.

tH

trojanloy

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2005
South Bend, IN
...convert everything to Generic RGB...

Forgive me if this is an ignorant question, but... if it was merely converting everything to Generic RGB, wouldn't the changes stop after *one* edit? Rather than getting worse and worse every time you edit the photo?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
My parents do NOT see this problem with Tiger (10.4.0) and iPhoto 5.0 right out-of-the box.

Could this be a problem ONLY if you have iPhoto 5.0.2 AND Tiger both?

In that case, a downgrade to iPhoto 5.0 WOULD help, even if you keep using Tiger.

I'm not there so I can't test what they say, but I DID use iPhoto 5 on their Tiger machine to edit half a dozen photos a couple weeks ago, and I saw no problem.

Maybe only because it wasn't repeated numerous edits? Is the problem extremely subtle when doing just a single edit?

trojanloy

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2005
South Bend, IN
It can be more or less subtle depending on the specific photo. There are definitely some instances where it is quite noticeable on the first edit -- otherwise I would not have noticed it in the first place. I don't usually edit my photos 10 times. :)

What hardware are your parents using? I have a (as-yet unproven and possibly quite wrong) theory that maybe G5s aren't affected, because I've heard a few people with G5s saying they don't have the problem, and if so, that might explain why Apple had so much trouble reproducing the problem, since I assume that most of the techs use G5s...

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
trojanloy said:
What hardware are your parents using? I have a (as-yet unproven and possibly quite wrong) theory that maybe G5s aren't affected, because I've heard a few people with G5s saying they don't have the problem, and if so, that might explain why Apple had so much trouble reproducing the problem, since I assume that most of the techs use G5s...

Since it appeared with Tiger, and this with the shift of editing to Core Image, my working theory is it's GPU related. Are you sure all those G5's aren't just using the same GPU? :D

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It's an iBook G4... I believe the revision BEFORE the current one.

They're also using it on an iMac G4/800 (first-gen) without noticing problems, but I haven't personally used it on that machine.

I'm having no problems with iPhoto 5 in Panther, as expected (AlBook 1.25, first gen 15"). I'll jump to Tiger when I have time.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
nagromme said:
It's an iBook G4... I believe the revision BEFORE the current one.

They're also using it on an iMac G4/800 (first-gen) without noticing problems, but I haven't personally used it on that machine.

I'm having no problems with iPhoto 5 in Panther, as expected (AlBook 1.25, first gen 15"). I'll jump to Tiger when I have time.

Mine is a rev. A iBook G4/12". I did an archive/install without porting user info, so the only think I ported for iPhoto was the iPhoto library in the pictures folder. I actually upgraded to Tiger and iLife 05 at the same time, so after installing Tiger, I copied over my old Pictures folder and installed iPhoto. I think I did import the color calibration file from Panther though. Could that have anything to do with it? But no, the people using the standard calibration and experiencing the issue would suggest no....

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
FWIW, I calibrated the iBook myself after installing Tiger, and used the built-in calibration tools.

The iMac I calibrated in Panther, and I suppose that carried over when they went to Tiger. (Both machines were upgraded from iPhoto 4, and both went to Tiger via the Update method.)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Tip for reverting a bunch of images--no Automator needed: just multi-select in the big view--you can Revert there too. And it does revert all the selected images, I tested (in Panther) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.