Really Apple A Screw?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MallCop, Oct 15, 2011.

1. MallCop macrumors 6502

My friends phone wouldn't turn on when on battery so we took it to the store and they ran the battery test and looked for water damage and they go everything looks good, we'll give you a replacement. Then they take off the back to get the serial number, which I didn't even know was back there, and see that the battery connector popped out. How I don't know but they said it was missing a screw. So he took in into the back and came out and said I don't have any of those screws and he went in the drawer to get a replacement iPhone and then took that apart to get the screw instead of just giving us the new one. They ruined a new iPhone just for a screw. I couldn't believe it.

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Thats not uncommon. They fixed your iPhone right?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People are imperfect beings and well stuff happens. A testament to the quality control, is the fact this is an exception for apple products and not the rule.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

And the next time someone comes in with a missing part, they take it off the same iPhone your friend's screw came from. Not sure how you see that as ruining a phone. Clearly they're not going to have a drawer with 1,000 tiny loose parts for iPhones at the store, so cannibalism is a quick alternative, especially since you don't have to hunt around to determine which part to use; you take it from one spot on the new phone and put it in the same spot on the broken phone.

If 10 people come in with 10 different missing screws, by your method of thinking, they'd give away 10 new iPhones. Now THAT'S unbelievable.

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

For a new phone...I would never have let them do that. Give me a new unopened phone. Period.

I dont need them cutting and pasting.

6. Sarngate macrumors regular

That makes NO sense.

Are you seriously suggesting it's more logical to take a screw from an actual phone than just have some spare parts ready to use ? :rolleyes:

7. Martyrd0m macrumors regular

Martyrd0m

Or maybe that was an already dead phone that is used for parts?

8. ATaleOfFiction macrumors member

OP said they didn't have the required spare parts. And his phone was fixed in a jif, why would anyone except a brand new phone? It's always been repair, then replace if necessary.

9. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

The OP never said it was new. For all we know, it could have been an original iPhone. Now granted, since they had one there to take the screw from, it can be reasonably assumed that it was at least a currently sold model (3GS, 4, or 4s)

10. MallCop thread starter macrumors 6502

It was the verizon iPhone 4

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

The ruined a phone? Really, as in destroyed it? Or did they take the screw out with the intention of ordering a replacement part and repairing it when the part comes in?

Seems they did a good job of getting your friend's phone repaired and you on your way instead of saying they'll have to order the part and you can come back for your phone in a few days. This is a problem how? :confused:

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

For some things I could understand that. But seriously, it was a screw. They replaced the screw, the phone works fine.