Really Bad Image Quality Syncing to iphone From Aperture

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mashinhead, Apr 10, 2008.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I prefer to use aperture to iphoto, i have wall papers that are perfectly sized images on the comptuer and when i sync them to the phone they show up like they have very low res. they aren't sharp. anyone else? they look really bad. does aperture or itunes compress the photos or soemthing when transfering.

2. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

3. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

the one thing I hate

sucky thing about the iphone, photo syncing. iTunes automatically compresses all photos going to the phone. So yeah, as far as I know, no easy way to get pictures onto your phone of 100% quality. There may be a way through jailbroken phones, but not sure...

4. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

well i was doing the same thing before without a problem this was only recently. sorry dont have a digicam atm to take pics but basically look at an image on screen and then lower the res noticably and that is what it looks like.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Not a problem. I've used photoshop rather than iPhoto, so I'm not sure what Aperture's wallpaper looks like. Sorry. :cool:

6. Roller macrumors 68020

My images (6 and 12 MP NEF) from Aperture look great on my iPhone after pre-processing in iTunes. What resolution are your originals?

7. americaskate macrumors member

I too am having this exact same issue. I wonder if it has to do with an export setting? If i export the same picture from a folder on my desktop the image appears much nicer than if it was exported from aperature to my iphone. I really wonder why this is. Anyone have any idea?

8. wizard macrumors 68040

An unwanted feature in a recnet softwar revision???

I wish my memory was a bit better but someplace on the net I've seen this very issue discussed and it seems to be the result of a recent iTunes update. That is not a lot of help and you might want to report this as a bug to Apple. While I can understand the need to save the user space I think Apple needs to realize that a few of its users can really make use of the ability to store high resolution images on their devices.

You might look around for hacks and such to get iTunes to transfer high res images to the iPhone. I would not be surprised to find out that there is an unimplemented feature to provide hi res transfers with in iTunes.

As to the bug reports yeah that will help but what we might want to do is to start sending letters to Steve Jobs detailing why a publicly available method to transfer high res images to the iPhone is needed. This whole thing does seem like a bone headed move on Apples part.

Dave

9. americaskate macrumors member

I dont think it's an iTunes issue. I think there's a problem in how it's receiving the picture. I notice that if i drag a picture out of aperture it is terrible quality. Does anyone know how to fix this and what the export quality should be set to? With this we can see if it's apertures fault. Let me know.

10. seekbus macrumors newbie

I've been fighting with this myself and finally figured out a workaround. Go to Preferences in Aperture and then click the Preview tab/section in Preferences. Change "Preview quality:" from 8 to 12 and change "Limit preview size:" from "1/2 size" to "Don't limit". Then you will need to select all of the images you are importing to your phone and while holding down the Option key, Control click on one of the images and select the "Generate Preview" option. This will update the Aperture previews for all of your selected images. It would appear that there is a bug in Aperture or iTunes that pulls the image previews from Aperture instead of the actual image files.

NOTE: You may want to change your Aperture Preview preference setting back after importing your photos to your iPhone. I think if you keep the preference setting to "Don't limit", you may end up with a huge Aperture preview file as you import new photos to Aperture.

11. xpcoolz macrumors newbie

wow it's amazing to find that this bug is around since 2008. i just experience what you did, i tried to sync my photos to my iPhone using iTunes 9.0.3 and Aperture 3 (latest to date). i notice the very bad quality photos as well.

I try to use iPhoto '09 and the result is superb. I prefer Aperture to sync my photos but unless i can get a high res image synced to my iphone, it is useless.

any other solution, guys?

12. mbalson macrumors member

mbalson

I'm having the same issue. Photos synced from iPhoto '09 look great but from Aperture 3 they look terrible.

13. legacyb4 macrumors 6502

Ditto, noticed that after switching the photo source in iTunes from iPhoto to Aperture. Sounds like another bug that needs to be fixed!

14. JonLOo macrumors newbie

I guess that the problem remains in the previews of the aperture, this app resizes the previews to half size of the original image. And when you use aperture library from the itunes to sync images, you pass the previews.
    So the solution will be to go to preferences/previews and change the size of the preview, to no limit.
    Then re-load your whole library again so the aperture can generate the new previews.

Hope this works for you :)

15. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

Anyone reading this - the above method works!

16. SicMX macrumors member

What a disappointment

The iPhone 4 photos in the camera roll are 2592x1936 px (5MP). So to clear up space I moved all the photos to my computer (to Aperture). In Aperture I have them well organized and there were about 20 or so that I still needed to edit, so i placed them in a smartfolder in Aperture.

After syncing the Aperture folder with iTunes i edited the pics on the iPhone (with PhotoForge2, great software btw!). At some point I checked the resolution on the photos and they were only 1296x968 px (1MP)!?!

A lot of time lost editing ridiculously low quality photos and now I have to figure out a way to import them again without iTunes/Aperture altering them.

PS. The reason I need high quality is because I print a great deal of my photos and many of my photos consist of 8-10 photo panoramas. I usually edit my photos on the move, and my Mac is reserved for high quality RAW editing, not iPhone editing.

17. I like all OS's macrumors newbie

I like all OS's

There is a way with a JB iPhone, I used it for a while when I was only running Linux. Essentially because the phone is jailbroken you have full root access so you would just drag the file to the appropriate folder, and it has to be named a certain way with a .jpg format I believe. Non-linux way would be to use a program called iPhone Explorer which is totally free and best of all for you non-jailbreak people, it works with non-jailbroken devices! XD

18. SicMX macrumors member

That's so practical :D

19. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Did anyone adjust the preview settings in the Preferences menu? I set mine to No Limit and it appears to be working well. However the Aperture library gets very big as a result of this. :confused:

20. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

I found this thread after experiencing this low quality images and I'm shocked this was happening several years ago and still not fixed. It's not like Aperture is a 3rd party app or anything trying to interface with the iPhone. And I'm using the latest version (3.2.2).

I tried the solution of making the previews set to No Limit but doesn't seem to be working for me...

Below are images of what I'm seeing, probably have to open them full size to actually see the difference. The pic in the "iPhone wallpapers" folder is an image I imported into Aperture that's noticeably pixelated. I dragged the exact same image to the Photo Stream within Aperture and the image looks perfectly clear when viewing on the iPhone. Frustrating...

Attached Files: