Really bad internet problems. Cant take it anymore : /

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Jul 11, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

So my girlfriend and I just moved into a new place and got the internet set up. We hooked up the only router we had laying around, a wireless-B router circa 2002.

The internet seemed to work fine although it was a bit slow, im not sure if this is because we chose the $20 cox over $30 or because our router is ancient. If somebody could answer this that would be great. I'm not sure whether to upgrade the router or the internet first. I download steam games at 130/kb a second, usually takes 8-10 hours : (.

As soon as I set up a network name and password things went downhill. First, the internet became slower than it already was. Then our airports would randomly show an exclamation point and we would have no access at all. The only way I can find to fix it is to go through the network diagnostics which is a paint to do several times a day.

Also, sometimes whenever one of us shuts our MBP, the other one loses internet!

Any help would be appreciated, thanks : )

Also, before spinnerlys comes on here showing me how to use the macrumors google for the hundreds time, I've already done a search :p

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Try to connect one of your macs directly to the modem without using the router. If it's still slow, your connection is probably to blame, otherwise the router.

3. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

or directly to the router using a cable and not wifi.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

B has been obsolete for years. Get a new router.

Test using ethernet.

5. vant macrumors 65816

Whoa. Surprised that your router lasted this long.

It seems that every time I buy a router at retail, it breaks within a year or two.

6. TrojanX macrumors member

TrojanX

I would suggest going out and spending $100 on an Airport Express. It is extremely fast (running at an N speed) and is compact enough to not be obtrusive. In addition, you can plug in a standard printer and make it wireless or transmit wireless signals to you stereo!

7. Betelgeuse macrumors member

I agree with other members here suggesting to test it out by plugging the cable directly into the cable modem.

However, from your description of your problem, it sounds like your router is flaky. It's probably not the B-ness that's causing problems (since that should still transfer data near the maximum rate of your outside connection), but that there's actually something wrong with your router.

You could get an Airport Express if you wanted, but that's pretty overpriced and you aren't going to see any benefit from an N router with your connection to the outside world. I'm a big fan of the Asus WL-520gU; it's pretty cheap (~$33), has a USB port, and you can install third-party firmware (like DD-WRT or Tomato) on it. Of course, if you don't care about third party firmware, you can probably get a router for even cheaper.

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Really, just go buy a new router. I would highly recommend the Airport Express or Extreme. After 10 years of using nothing but Linksys routers I made the switch over and it was the best decision I have ever made. Buy one in the refurb store to save some $.

9. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Good one, but really, buy a new router. That is most likely to solve your problems.