Really bad iPod touch problem!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by maclover201, Sep 7, 2008.

1. maclover201 macrumors member

Hello Everyone-

I was on vacation with my family in the Colorado Rockies this weekend and brought my Touch. I connected to the hotel's wireless network and decided to update Twitterrific. The thing started to update and then my Touch's screen got garbled and rebooted. It was taking a while to boot up (over 10 minutes), which I considered abnormal. To make sure it wasn't a really low battery, I plopped it on the charger for about an hour. The thing got REALLY hot and the screen dimmed a little with the Apple logo still stuck on the screen. I took it off and noticed that there was a little bulge in the bottom left side of the case. I have never dropped it or sat on it, ever. Maybe the battery? Well, anyway, I'm back from the mountains today and connected it to my computer. iTunes froze the first two times I tried to restore it, but the third time (always the charm) this showed up.

Image Link

WTF?! It's not an iPhone! So anyway, now I am stuck with a bulging iPod touch that will not charge normally, will not go into Recovery Mode, is stuck on the Apple logo indefinitely, and thinks it's a nameless iPhone.

Should I go to the Apple Store and have a Genius replace it?

Thanks,

Morgan

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I would definitely take it in if you are close enough to an Apple store. It is really acting weird.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I agree with the poster above. Definitely send it back to Apple or take it in to an Apple Store. A bulging case sounds to me like a L-ION battery gone bad and could be dangerous. I would not make any further attempts at charging it or connecting it to the computer.

Good luck.

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Wow, that's very, very weird.
    You're iPod's on crack.
    The next thing you know it's going to restore but iTunes is going to ask you to set up an account for your "iPhone."

To answer your question, yes.
    Go complain your head off until they fix it perfectly or give you a new one.

5. maclover201 thread starter macrumors member

I will post some pics in a second.

The bulge is small, but it was definitely not there to begin with.

6. maclover201 thread starter macrumors member

Pics

Here are the image links. I posted them with GrabUp just to save some time... LOL.

Top View
    Slightly Bloated Case
    Side View

Also, it's trying to sync now, but iTunes just froze again. The Apple logo is still staring me down on the screen.

Update: iTunes relaunched and froze for the fifth time.

Updatex2: This popped up again: Image Link

Updatex3: My iPod made that little beeping sound that it usually makes when you connect it to the computer, but the Apple logo is still on the screen and iTunes doesn't see it. It really is on crack.

Updatex4: WTF? Sync in Progress? It's back!

Updatex5: I am restoring it now. If it ends up working, I may not have to go to Apple at all. If it doesn't, well, then I will have to complain.

7. maclover201 thread starter macrumors member

Man, preparing the iPod for restore is taking a LONG time.

8. maclover201 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, it's actually restoring.

Update: It's syncing.

9. miiles macrumors regular

Unless restoring it fixes the bulge, I would still take it to an Apple Store if it isn't too out of the way.

10. maclover201 thread starter macrumors member

11. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yes, even though you're able to sync it, this is bound to happen again and you should still take it into the Apple store because of the bulge.

12. 184550 Guest

Yeah, seems like it could be a battery problem and potentially dangerous. I'd leave it off and take into an Apple store.

13. maclover201 thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't look too bad. For all I know, I may have just noticed something that was there the whole time. Don't worry, I will take it in.