Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raoulduke12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Hi everyone,
Just got my Apple TV (actually won it in a drawing at office xmas party!); Couple of questions:

-I hear I can connect speakers to the ATV with the optical out, and play music from itunes through the speakers using the airplay app on my iphone? and I do not need an airport express base station? is this accurate?

-Can i also listen to streaming audio from my mac that is NOT sourced from itunes?

-I lied, one more question: Can anyone recommend a good set of speakers for use with the ATV? I don't need the surround or anything, just something minimal.

Cheers!

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Hi everyone,
Just got my Apple TV (actually won it in a drawing at office xmas party!); Couple of questions:

-I hear I can connect speakers to the ATV with the optical out, and play music from itunes through the speakers using the airplay app on my iphone? and I do not need an airport express base station? is this accurate?

I do not think you can connect speakers directly to the ATV. You need some sort of Amp that will process the signal and then power the speakers.

-Can i also listen to streaming audio from my mac that is NOT sourced from itunes?

Through airplay yes if you have an iPad, iPod or iPhone

gtmac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
ATV2 us digital only therefore you need something that accepts a digital toslink connection i.e. a receiver or digital to analog converter.

The mini jack of the airport express still adds a ton more functionality if all you want is music.

There are third party apps that do also stream other music, out of iTunes, to airplay devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.