Really basic question

iPilot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
I am going to attempt to prove just how computer illiterate I am with this post, as this is about as basic of a question as there is.

I am awaiting delivery of the new imac I recently ordered (first mac ever), and I am trying to prep as much as I can. Currently I am running Internet Explorer on my PC, through a cable ISP, and was wondering how I get my "favorites" list of websites transferred over to the mac? Do I need to go through every website (probably around 150 or so) and copy / paste the address to a word document and print out, so I can then manually enter them all into the mac? It seems like the last time I got a new computer 7 years ago, it was all automatic somehow. Would that list have been saved through the ISP?

BTW, knowing nothing about macs, I plan on using Safari when I get it, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
On your Windows machine download and install Firefox. It'll have the option to import the bookmarks from IE. Then once that is done use Firefox to export the bookmarks, which come in a single html file. Then just transfer this file to your Mac and it can be imported into most browsers; Safari, Firefox, Opera, Camino, etc.

You may also be able to use Safari for Windows for that first step ...