Really basic question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iPilot, Aug 30, 2007.

1. iPilot macrumors newbie

I am going to attempt to prove just how computer illiterate I am with this post, as this is about as basic of a question as there is.

I am awaiting delivery of the new iMac I recently ordered (first mac ever), and I am trying to prep as much as I can. Currently I am running Internet Explorer on my PC, through a cable ISP, and was wondering how I get my "favorites" list of websites transferred over to the mac? Do I need to go through every website (probably around 150 or so) and copy / paste the address to a word document and print out, so I can then manually enter them all into the mac? It seems like the last time I got a new computer 7 years ago, it was all automatic somehow. Would that list have been saved through the ISP?

BTW, knowing nothing about macs, I plan on using Safari when I get it, if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

2. thegrifman macrumors regular

If IE can export your favorites to an html file you should be able to import them into Safari pretty easily.

3. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

i have this prob...i exported them all as html like that..and there all seperate?how do i import them?

4. thegrifman macrumors regular

In Safari go to File...Import Bookmarks and select the html file with the bookmarks in them.

5. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

all the bookmarks are seperate called "internet shortcut"

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

On your Windows machine download and install Firefox. It'll have the option to import the bookmarks from IE. Then once that is done use Firefox to export the bookmarks, which come in a single html file. Then just transfer this file to your Mac and it can be imported into most browsers; Safari, Firefox, Opera, Camino, etc.

You may also be able to use Safari for Windows for that first step ...