Really becoming disenchanted by Apple's form over function

Discussion in 'iMac' started by onthecouchagain, Aug 17, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

This is particularly about dust under the iMac screen. Within a month of owning a new 2011 iMac, I noticed dust particles behind the screen. They won't come off when cleaning the front of the glass panel. At first I thought it was a dead pixel, but realized I could see it even when the screen was off.

So, naturally, I use suction cups and removed the panel and gently wiped the inside of the glass panel and the actual screen itself with a microfiber cloth. Needless to say, this only created more dust, not to mention streak marks. I removed the panel again and went over it more thoroughly, but no matter what, the moment you remove the panel, dust--a lot of which you can't see until it's too late--settles inside.

Granted, it's not a major issue, but between this, the video freeze problem (hopefully resolved in 10.7.1, I haven't actually tested it), and heating problems (the temperatures I used to get before I installed fan control while gaming were pretty absurd) has really disenchanted me from Apple's "premium" products. (My new 2011 Air also creaks, which really detracts from making the Air feel premium. There are multiple threads about creaking over at the Air forum, so I'm not the only one).

The dust under the panel is irritating. =T

2. rikbrown macrumors regular

3. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Where is the iMac located? Is the environment particularly dusty?

4. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

5. Hamilton1963 macrumors regular

Do not use Windex, use water alone. If you removed the front screen there is nothing you can do to get rid of the dust. Dust is the main reason I'll not upgrade my HDD to an SSD Drive. Dust is everywhere unless you're in a place that is dust free.

6. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Had the same issue after upgrading a hard drive for a friend. Use a can of compressed air (the electronic duster stuff).

Also, the cleaner the room, the better.

7. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I hate the idea of opening the iMac just for this reason, but I did get a good idea from a web video. Use latex gloves, that way you avoid getting fingerprints on the back of the glass when you handle it.

My plan if I get dust under the screen is to go to apple to get them to clean it, at least until AppleCare expires.

8. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

If you were getting dust under the glass before you removed the glass then it means that there is a problem with the glass not be a tight fit against the frame. If it were me I would take it the Apple store and gave them fix it right. They would probably replace the glass. Removing the glass to clean it is not going to have your issue go away. I have owned three of the modern iMacs (2005 20", 2008 24" and now 2011 27") and none of them has had the issue of dust getting under the glass. And I notice everything about the computers I own.

9. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Welcome to the world of dust. I have had Nikon and Canon lenses undergo factory service that were returned to me with small dust particles on the inside of the glass. Negligible impact but quite annoying none the less.

:mad:

10. nofunsir macrumors member

nofunsir

Bug

Within a few weeks after getting my 2009 iMac, I had an actual bug inside the display! Luckily this "dust particle" had legs and moved himself out of view before dying.

Even the older mac which had aluminum encompassing the edge of the glass, was prone to this.

Unfortunately, Apple's solution to this in future iMacs will likely be to super glue the screen to the glass!

11. tobypb macrumors member

In my first 2011 iMac I had upgraded the RAM to 8gb. When I went to send the iMac back I opened the compartment to remove the ram and found a dead moth in there of a medium size. I still to this day do not know how the moth got in the ram compartment. It would have been impossible for him to crawl in, so my only guess is he went in through the vent at the top and some how ended up in the ram compartment, perhaps becuase it was the only area where light can shine in? Luckily I sent that iMac back but now it makes me wonder how many insects have made there way into my iMac :eek: