Really can't decide between glossy and matte

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RetepNamenots, May 1, 2011.

1. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

I've read up on the various threads, but still can't make my mind up.

I'm a designer and use my Macbook regularly indoors. Whilst the glare doesn't bother me too much, I am considering an upgrade to the matte model.

My question is, are colours reflected as accurately on the matte model as they are on the glossy, and is the display just as bright?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The best way to decide is to go look at both for yourself. This type of decision shouldn't be based on anyone else's opinion, since only you are going to be stuck looking at your screen every day. There are hundreds of threads on this, with thousands of opinions. Ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference.

3. deep diver macrumors 65816

deep diver

All of these questions are answered in other threads. The gloss screen will have blacker blacks. Color rendering depends on how accurately you calibrate your screen. Folks are divided 50/50 on which they like better. Ultimately you have to choose.

4. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

I've read:

Matte and Glossy both impact the overall image.

Glossy has a glass separator and makes some colors "pop" which may not be representative of what the image looks like printed (sooo many variables to this argument though).

Matte has usually a plastic (or other IDK what is out there for other in use materials) layer over the screen which works some visual voodoo to reduce light reflections.

Generally it can be said that Matte screens produce a more "milky" white due to the plastic anti-glare in place of the glass.

If I use either in the same place (meaning static environment/positioning to light source) the glossy reflects the light (on top of the image) where Matte dulls the light source while also making the image less visible.

I've read the Matte screen is brighter to account for the other characteristics of the panel used.

5. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

On a laptop such as the MBP it's really personal preference. (And several people here made great points for each).

For me personally I can deal with the glossy on a 15in screen like the MBP but on a 27in iMac my eyes strained to 'see past the reflections'. But I know people who have zero issue with the glossy screen so again get to a store that has them out on display and play around with them.

EDIT: As far as color accuracy goes I believe in the 'it doesn't matter, it's a laptop'. Even if you properly calibrate it the slightest change in angle can cause massive swings in color/contrast shift so never ever rely on a laptop screen for accuracy in color critical work.

6. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I have a 13" so glossy was my only option. But at one point I was looking at the 15" as well and what I did is I went to the Apple store and looked at both side by side. I liked the glossy better due to what seemed richer colours and more depth. Each person will prefer something else.