Really Confused by iTunes Match

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NMF, Aug 1, 2012.

1. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I just signed up for iTunes Match yesterday and did my initial scan and upload. I'm not really understanding how it works. None of my songs seems to have any cloud logo next to them. Some of them have the X saying they were not eligible for iCloud (wtf is that about?) but most are just blank.

What does that mean? How can I tell which songs were matched and which weren't? How can I download the 256kbps version of lower bitrate songs I had? How can I manage the actual cloud library and delete stuff?

This whole program is so confusing... I really can't believe it came from Apple (and is still this messed up).

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

a cloud means its available on the cloud, but it isn't local, nothing means its local, a dotted cloud means it is pending updload, not eligible means it doesn't meet some requirement (usually encoding, not content).

Once you have all your music uploaded (it takes a while) it will be available on all your other computers...you can then choose to delete them all locally or re-download them all elsewhere.

3. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

How can I tell if something was "matched" though? I have a lot of music left over from when I was in high school (or younger, some of it is from first-generation Napster). Going in to iTunes Match, I had decided that anything that wasn't matched with a 256kbps version was going to be deleted. How can I tell what was matched and what was merely uploaded?

4. saketbash macrumors newbie

To see if its been matched, right-click on a column name in the music tab in iTunes such as Name or Title and a list of column choices pops up. Choose iCloud Status and it will tell you whether its been purchased, matched, or not eligible. Hope that helps :)

5. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

I have to do that for... every song? There's no way to just display that info in its own column, or even just browse the cloud library?

Every song... wow...

WTF Apple?

6. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

You don't need to do it for every song
    just right click on the column name and choose iCloud status.

7. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Exactly. Just like the "name" "time" "artist" "album" columns, there will be a "iCloud status" column.

See the attachment.

Attached Files:

8. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

NICE!

That is awesome. Thank you both.

Ok... so now what about all these "Ineligible?" I tried to make AAC version... said protected files can't be made into AAC. I thought iTunes got rid of all the DRM files? How do match these?