(really) customizing leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davidterranova, Oct 14, 2008.

1. davidterranova macrumors newbie

Hello there...
    now that Apple is inheriting more and more nasty traits, not too far off from Microsoft, I find myself being FORCED to use OSx's features that were designed for the computer-illiterate users, and more specifically for people who don't use keyboard shortcuts.

I like many others, on the other hand, rarely use the mouse when using the Finder, so I've always found many features useless, for example the Toolbar in a Finder window, or now the ever-present Sidebar.

So I've been looking for resources on how to really customize my mac, but the only articles I keep coming across are beginners' tips (e.g. "how to remove elements from the sidebar").
    Does anyone know of a good place to find or talk about this sort of information? Or is this the place?

Here's one example of how I'd like to customize the way my Finder works.
    My ideal window would look like the "Apple+Alt+T'eed" window (unticking "View/Show Toolbar"): no chunky-tacky-ugly borders, no toolbar with useless buttons, no sidebar. Just the two essential elements: 1. a window, 2. the files.
    The rest I can do myself.
    However when the toolbar is hidden, you can't go into a folder without it opening in a new window!

And things like the iTunes Store links next to every track in iTunes are just plain shameful. In previous versions of iTunes you could switch the links off, but that choice has been gracefully removed in the new version.

Does anyone know where I can find any info on this?

Thanks

David Terranova
    www.davidterranova.com

2. davidterranova thread starter macrumors newbie

here's how you can hide the store links in iTunes!

PHP:
    defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-arrow-links -bool FALSE