(really) dead ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by fsa, Jun 3, 2010.

1. fsa macrumors newbie

:apple: Over the weekend my sons ipod touch died. For awhile it had the usb -> itunes display on it. However it was never recognized by itunes when it was plugged in. The reset procedure was functional for awhile - but again never recognized by itunes. Now there's no response at all: pressing power key by itself, power and menu buttons together, plugged in and un plugged. Apparently he jail broke it at some point and subsequently restored it.

Is there anything else I can try before I either throw it away or send it in (I'm leaning toward the former choice currently).
    TIA.

2. SayaSe macrumors newbie

Your problem may have been caused by a lot of things but jailbreaking definitely is among them and doesn't help your warranty.
    You should still try to send it in, after all the problem may be something else.

Lesson learned, don't jailbreak.

3. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

When nothing responds it could be because your battery is drained to a very very low level. Try getting a wall charger. That will fix your issue, if it has to do with the battery. But even when you restore the battery back, it's not being recognized by iTunes - so try restoring in DFU mode, which will force the iPod to restore no matter what.

4. fsa thread starter macrumors newbie

Battery was fully charged when it was displaying 'connect to itunes' on the screen. Remind me how to force dfu mode. thx

5. fsa thread starter macrumors newbie

I had tried DFU previously. Here's the status:

3.While pressing and holding the Home button, reconnect
    the USB cable to iPhone. When you reconnect the USB cable
    to iPhone, the device should power on.

Hard stop here. Completely unresponsive. Won't power on.
    This is the current state.

4.Continue holding the Home button until you see the
    "Connect to iTunes" screen. When this screen appears
    you can release the Home button:

Saw this some initially but now nothing.

5.If necessary, open iTunes. You should see the following
    "recovery mode" alert:

iTunes never recognized it when plugged in.

Thx

6. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

maybe it's already in dfu mode. Try shutting it off by holding home + power for 30 seconds.

If that doesn't work, and you're looking to throw it out, open it up, take out the screen and clean the connector that mates the volume and power buttons with cleaning alcohol. Sometimes condensation can cause an issue with that connector, and make the ipod think you released or pressed on of the buttons.

7. trsnrtr macrumors 6502

trsnrtr

Yep, I was mowing the lawn yesterday with my touch in my pocket and it obviously got too damp. The Touch is highly susceptible to moisture of any kind.

I let it dry for a few hours but it still required a reboot to get it going again even after it dried out.