really dislike the new Photos app...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Anoziram, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Anoziram macrumors newbie

I just made an account because I'm struggling to find anyone who's got my problem.
    The new "Photos" app for the Mac operating system is driving me nuts. I don't like the way it looks, or the editing system, or the fact that the Cloud is central to it. I don't have an iPhone, and don't intend on getting one. There's no reason for me to use Photos.
    I want to go back to iPhoto, and the app is still on my Mac with all of my old photos, but I want to remove the Photos app entirely from my computer. Is there any way I could do this?

2. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Even though you're in a proper forum to ask this, you might have more luck finding answers if you look through (or post in) the Digital Photography threads. Good luck! :)

3. jasnw macrumors 6502

I agree with your assessment of Photos, at least in it's current pre-alpha state. Why do you want to remove the Photos app? Just ignore it and use iPhoto if that's what you want to use.

4. rexone macrumors regular

Lake Weyba on the sub-tropical Sunshine Coast :)
    Photos is a really retro-grade app.
    Many of us (foolishly) expected that with the demise of Aperture & the long gap between iPhoto updates that Photos would be more like 'iPhoto Pro'.
    Sadly it was more like iOS iPhoto for Mac.
    I really, really, really despise Photos. It is feature poor & a truly bad library organisation tool.
    iPhoto may have been getting long-in-the-tooth BUT... it was a great library tool. I've over 40,000 hi-res RAWs in my library & found it handled them no trouble at all.
    What also offends me greatly is the way Apple has forced the Photos installation on users. I'm really surprised there hasn't been more controversy about this. The fact that Photos install was embedded in an OS update & it installs itself & then updates your library WITHOUT ASKING PERMISSION!!!
    I actually recently had a long chat with Apple Support about this on-line & they a) - acknowledged that Photos is a backwards step & users have been quite unhappy with it & b) - said that is they hear from enough users they are already considering bringing iPhoto back but are waiting to see response levels.