Really don't know what to do about my iPad..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xMBPx, Mar 19, 2012.

1. xMBPx, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012

xMBPx macrumors regular

Hey guys, I'm curious how your screens compare to you iPhone 4?

Ever since I got my iPad I wasn't that blown away by the screen. Ater seeing the post on the front page today about the yellow tint i just recently compared it to my iPhone 4, and the iPhone 4 has a much cooler tint to it. Now I'm not sure if my entire screen is defective, or just warmer and it's bugging me.

I ordered it online, and I'm not sure if I should return it for a new one or not. What is the process like?

It's perfect in every other way, i just don't like the warm tint :\ But I don't want to return it for a new one and get one with light bleeding or dead pixels etc...

What do you guys think I should do? I'm gonna go to best buy and compare the screens before I make a final decision .

[​IMG]

I can't take a pic of it next to my iPhone obviously, because my iPhone is my only camera atm, but here is a picture of my iPad next to my MBP. Both are on the highest brightness possible.

2. Fynd macrumors 6502

The iPhone 4 was much cooler than the 4S and now iPad 3. Warmer is better in this case, closer to 6500k. If you're not used to it, give it some time to adjust. Think of it like watching a calibrated HDTV after watching it in dynamic for so long. It won't look right to you at first, but once you adjust it's technically superior.

That being said, it does seem like there are some super warm iPads, which is a problem in itself...

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

The story last week claims that currently only Samsung is supplying the screens for the new iPad, LG will be joining in soon.

Which means that whatever "issues" you are currently having with your iPad may not be resolved with an exchange.

4. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple claims that the screen has 44% better saturation, and DisplayMate praised it this week for color accuracy. My guess is that the "yellow tinting" is intentional. Also, note that at the iPad 2 launch last year, there were complaints of tinting that subsided after a little while. In some cases, the bonding just needed an extra day or two to set.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

My 4S has a distinctly cool tint to it, not enough to be annoying, but it is noticeable compared to something that's a true white.

My 3rd gen iPad is slightly warmer, especially side by side, but is really more neutral than the iPhone. Side by side with an iPad2 my new iPad is about the same.

6. xMBPx, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

xMBPx thread starter macrumors regular

7. Techwriter macrumors regular

Viewing iPads at Best Buy may or may not resolve your issue. What you see on display may not be what you get even if you return your current iPad and receive a different model.

I'm guessing that most of the iPad 3 models were at least slightly more yellow-tinged this time around. If you can adjust and otherwise love it, I'd say just keep it. As you say, better than receiving a different model that has more problems and may still be a bit yellow-tinged.

If you decide to return it and you purchased from Apple, you can return it online as well as in a retail store. Just remember to keep all the original packaging. You have 14 days from when you received it.

When I returned an online item, after going through the online return process, Apple emailed me the label to attach to the box. I was then required to drop the item at the nearest FedEx location.

It was simple.

8. xMBPx thread starter macrumors regular

9. applefan022 macrumors 6502

If it bothers you, go swap your device out with another one. My Screen is fine, makes my MBP look yellow. You paid that much money for a device you deserve perfection. Good Luck

10. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

I'd rather have a warm display but tat seems a tad much.

11. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Agreed. Don't know why you were negged on this but you're totally right. When you calibrate your TV correctly, it does look off until you get used to it but colour reproduction is actually more accurate when using 'warm" settings instead of "cool", especially skin tones.

I suspect they've calibrated the new iPads and 4Ss the same way

12. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

All my screens on different devices have slight differences between them, and honestly I don't care at all.

But looking at the OP's photo, yeah that looks rubbish, assuming it is as bad in reality as the photo suggests.
    I understand all the people saying that warmer is better for colour reproduction, but when a white web page looks that yellow I think that is a negative effect for any image.

13. WalledMacGarden macrumors regular

My new iPad is too cold and colder than the laptop you show on the right, I want a warmer one, but not as warm as yours, that looks ugly.

Hey, you know all this could be solved with color controls. At some point this becomes a content creation device and will need professional controls for color, contrast, color temperature etc. Might solve some returns.

Some of these yellow issues may go away, my 4s had a yellow cast and it went away after a few weeks. I would wait a few weeks and see what happens and then, if you're not happy exchange

14. emaja macrumors 68000

Your decision if you want to return it or not, but walk in with that one and walk out with a new one - as long as they have it in stock of course.

Easy peasy.

15. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

So you were thrilled with the screen until you read about a yellowing issue and compared it to something else? Sounds like you talked yourself into a problem that doesn't exist. If you are using it in conjunction with other displays regularly, I can see how it my be a bit annoying if the colors are noticeably different but when used by itself it should still thrill you. Worry less, play more! :)

16. Djay1 macrumors member

Always questionable judging a photo on one's own screen to judge color, BUT, the hand skin tone on the iPad looks jaundiced!

If that is the real life appearance I would likely try an exchange.

17. iMule macrumors 6502

I'm on my second iPad 3 (returned my 16 GB for a 32 GB) and I can honestly tell you, both screens seem to be more on the blue side, meaning blues and purples look similar.

I had to return 2 iPads last year due to yellow screens like that. Look, don't settle for something you're not happy with. If it bothers you, take it back and they'll swap it out for you. Apple is great about that.

18. THEAnonymous macrumors member

I'm not honestly a very picky person, but your iPad definitely looks quite yellow IMO.

19. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

It does look yellow ish. But you are comparing it to your MBP. Did you calibrate you MBP with a colorimeter? If not then it is a poor comparison. Every MBP I have owned is "cool" out of the box. Not as bad as some PC's mind you. But still.