Really don't need a large boot drive...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sharky II, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hi

I have a 2008 mac pro with a 500gb WD drive in it, 16mb cache. I am going to use this for my samples/audio recording, in my studio.

I just need a small/fast boot drive for the OS and applications, and some basic stuff.

I want to buy a raptor, but i can't help but think it's going to be replaced soon, as the F1 and their own larger drives catch up with it in terms of speed, and they're 'only' 7200rpm. So i don't really want to buy into that old, noisier technology.

At the same time, a 750gb drive for the OS seems like overkill to me - having a smaller data drive than boot drive also seems a bit weird.

So what's the best option for me, in reality, right now? Still go with the raptor?

I as thinking of maybe buying an identical 500gb WD drive to the one in the mac pro, using that for a while until a new raptor comes out, and then cloning that over to the raptor and using the 500gb as a backup drive or something.

Cheers

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you're best option is to not make a big deal about the size of the F1. if the F1 meets your speed need, then what difference does it make?

hard drives don't have feelings. your 500gb storage drive won't feel inadequate because it is smaller... it is confident in its ability to fulfill its purpose (which is to store information off of the system drive).

3. GotPro macrumors 6502

Don't forget... a speedy drive is not quite as speedy when it is close to full.

A 150GB Boot Drive with 75 Gigs of Data (as an example) will be slower than a 750GB Boot Drive with 75 Gigs of Data... even if the drives are the same speed.

I've got a 1TB Hitachi as a boot drive... and use approximately 61GB on it.

I've moved my iTunes Media Library to a separate drive...

My boot drive will probably NEVER exceed 100GB... but that's how I want it.

Lot's of empty space on the boot drive will ensure it stays nice and speedy.

:)

4. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I'd really like a 300gig Raptor...any word on those?

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

approx 90% of free space seems like a waste...it doesn't need to be THAT free. I thought the magic number was around 20%

6. GotPro macrumors 6502

Well, you are right. I don't need THAT much space...

However... you never know what the future will bring.

And the price I got it at was such a steal with a Best Buy Sale + Coupon... that... I figured... why not?

I paid more for a 250 Gig drive just 2 years ago!!! :) So I'm still happy :)

7. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Yeah... this is what i'd really love.

I'm considering a 500 or 750MB RE2 Western Digital 7200rpm... because the one in there was very quiet, and it seems to get good reviews. And it's cheap.

Then i'll get a Raptor when they're upgraded and boot drive stuff over to it, and then i can use the drive i buy now for backup...

I'm thinking maybe a samsung f1 750gb or a 500/750 western digital...