Really don't want to jb: just tether to tmobile

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by brobson, Jan 10, 2011.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

I've got a nokia neuron and t mobile. I tried Bluetooth and it recognizes the iPad but I can't get a signal. Even tried Joikuspot light but it didn't work and I dont have the right nokia for the premium version.
    Anything else I can try other than jb?

2. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

An actual description of what you are doing and trying to do would help.

Are you trying to tether your iPad's internet connection to any device? The only way to do that is to jailbreak.

3. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

My iPad isn't 3G so I am trying to get my nokia's Internet to work on it when I am not home. Jb just makes me nervous. I don't understand enough about it and don't want to end up regretting it just for a minimal amt of coverage.

4. benchobi macrumors newbie

Without jailbreaking your best bet is a device that can be a wifi hotspot. I don't know if there is more than one neuron available, but the one that comes up in web searches doesn't support wifi.

The only other thing I know is to tether over bluetooth but you have to JB to do that as you can't pair the ipad to your phone until you do. I run iBluever on my JB ipad to tether to my Verizon phone. It really works well. You just have to make sure your phone has a data plan that allows tethering.

This thread got me going:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=923503

5. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Just to get this out of the way, if you use discresion in your app download choices, you won't lose performance, you won't experience crashes, issues, etc. Just like your Mac or PC, don't download shady stuff, and don't download gimmicky bloatware. However, UNLIKE a Mac or PC, the amount of "Junk" even on Cydia, is limited. But, when your open, your open, there is no half way.

Now, if your wanting 4.2, for now your going to need a tethered jailbreak, also not really an issue. It only takes a minute to boot tethered, and your not going to run into a situation (most likely) where you NEED to restart your iPad. Many folks prefer an untethered 3.2 jailbreak and adding extensions like backgrounder to retain those 4.2 features. I, personally, run a tethered Redsn0w jailbreak for 4.2.1, with no problems.

Otherwise, why not jailbreak? The warranty issue? Just restore it in iTunes and you'll be fine, though there is a chance (albeit slight) that you get an issue that doesn't allow you to restore, so I understand that.

Failing that, unless you had the iPad 3G (which works with T-Mobile by the way, it comes factory unlocked to work with any GSM carrier, granted I don't know if T-Mobile offers service that works with the iPad, but the device is capable if T-Mobile offers it).

One thing I would look into, seriously, is an older WinMo phone, that runs at least Windows Mobile 5. There are tons of them on eBay, and they go for cheap a lot of times. Just make sure it's unlocked, and is GSM (has a SIM card). Then install an app called WMWiFi, and your golden. Pop the SIM into that phone, run that app, your good to go. Here's the thing, if T-Mobile has different plans for different phones you might have a problem, but what I have found with AT&T is, older Windows Mobile Phones (pre WP7) they don't always even consider smart phones (really! I had the basic unlimited web surfing plan for feature phones on my WM6 phone, touch screen, stylus and all!), so if T-Mobile is like that, you should be good to go.

There is also an App for older PocketPC versions as well, that works, but I don't remember the name of it. That would be useful if you found an old Cingular 8125 on eBay or something, which should work with T-Mobile. I used to tether via WiFi with my 8125 for a long time, running PocketPC 2003.

If you skipped to the bottom, bluetooth won't work without jail breaking, only WiFi tethering, so buy a MiWi, get a 3G iPad, or buy a phone that supports some form of WiFi tethering.

-John

6. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Now, if your wanting 4.2, for now your going to need a tethered jailbreak, also not really an issue. It only takes a minute to boot tethered, and your not going to run into a situation (most likely) where you NEED to restart your iPad. Many folks prefer an untethered 3.2 jailbreak and adding extensions like backgrounder to retain those 4.2 features. I, personally, run a tethered Redsn0w jailbreak

-John[/QUOTE]

First of all THANK you for the extensive answer. I think I am ready to try this. My question is this: I need to have my iPad hooked to a computer every time I start it right? I have a windows at work so that might be tricky. I read that you do not want your ipad to run the battery down either, what happens if I accidentally do? Is turning my iPad into a "brick" a possibility?
    Last question: should I wait for the next version of redsn0w for an untethered iPad b/c of my dual computer system situation?
    Thanks to all posters
    Brenda

7. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

It depends on the capabilities of your phone. I have an HTC HD2 and while it didn't come with the Wi-Fi sharing app that HTC puts on it, I was able to download it from a third party source. My phone's wi-fi needs to be on and it broadcasts a wireless network signal. I've been using this to connect my netbook to the internet. I got an iPad last week and it works flawlessly as did my netbook.

I don't know much about your phone but I think you would need at least a wi-fi capable phone as well as at least EDGE, 3G recommended.