Really dumb naming new cloned system drive question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wie Gehts, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

I've got a new hd for my macbook all hooked up ready to clone my old drive to it and it occurred to me.....do I still have to name it Macintosh HD?

If I change it to another name when I format the new drive, will all my stuff...my home folder, and all still be there and work right? Or do I still have to keep the name Macintosh HD?

Thanks

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Name should be irrelevant. No guarantees though.

Worst that could happen is you wasted 2 hours cloning, right?

3. Wie Gehts thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmmm..

well i'm partitioning the new drive into 2. one to clone my current tiger system onto...i had kept the name macintosh hd since the beginning....i never changed it.
    the other partition i'm gonna install snow leopard onto when its available..
    (i want to keep my old system intact)

...so i guess i can name that partition anything i want, but my current system i'd like to change it for the new drive and i don't know if its gonna mess anything up

4. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

The name of your internal or cloned drive is irrelevant. Neither affects the operation. You can name the cloned drive pretty much anything. You can rename it right after you name it. You can call it, "Big Baby," or "Fungi," or "My Awesome Cloned Hard Drive." You can rename your Macintosh HD to whatever you want as well. You can do it before or after you clone and it will make no difference.

The more you get into these types of details, the more you'll love Macs.

Again, I cannot stress enough how much better you will find Leopard. (should be cheap on ebay--get only Retail boxed version.)