Really dumb question. Can you install OS XP from an external cd-drive?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hugh, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

My CD/DVD L (and so on) isn't working right. I put the disc in, it makes a loud grinding noise. So I figured that it would be cheaper if I just bought an External CD-RW/DVD+/- DL +/- with lightscribe for a good drive.

I don't have it yet. Since the internal drive isn't working does this mean I'm up the s++t, when it comes to installing Windows XP or Windows 7?

If there is a way...How do you do it. :(

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Nope, im not sure if a firewire drive will work but I have my superdrive in an external usb case and it doesnt work. Even tried loading it onto a flash drive and using rEFIt to boot, doesnt work... Only way to do it I have seen is use Parallels.

Here is a thread about it and how they get it to work with Parallels - http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=631901

3. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Thanks for your reply. When I have the time I will read how they did it with Paralles. Which I wouldn't think about trying it though. :( For some reason would think it would be really hard to do it though way. Oh well if I need to re-instal and don't want to work around with Parallels or Fusion for that matter.

I'll just get the drive replaced, and knowing Apple it will cost $100 for the drive whatever for the labor. Right now I am looking a good price DVD-/+ DL with lightscribe. Which seems to be an interesting way to label your discs.

Hugh

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Strange... my 15" MacBook Pro Boots just fine to my external DVD drive with a Windows XP SP2 CD.

I just booted and held down the option key to select the external Windows disc. It booted to a normal Windows install. I have a first-gen unibody MBP.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Some combinations of drive and firmware do work reliably. Others don't. Try the particular combination before giving up.

B

6. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

It might be able to boot from the install disk, but can you install XP from an external drive? I would think the first half of the install would work but the second half it wouldn't know to go to the external drive. :confused:

Hugh

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Usually the second half of a Windows install is completed from the HDD.

B

8. Piplodocus macrumors regular

Never worked for me from an external USB/FW DVD drive.

Works for OSX install, but not Win7, hence I have to do lots of drive shuffling if I want to reinstall Win7 since I have an optibay.