Really dumb things you see in the movies

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mysterytramp, Nov 25, 2009.

1. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

We all see really dumb things in movies. This one's a real groaner:

At the end of "G.I. Joe" there's a big battle between the Joes and the bad guys at the secret underwater lair under the North Polar ice caps. The bad guys decide to dynamite the ice, and huge icy boulders FALL down on the good guys.

Double Ugh.

mt

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

That still doesn't beat the sheer badness that is Battlefield Earth. :eek:

Example: A bunch of post-apocalyptic cavemen go to an abandoned Air Force hanger and teach themselves how to fly a Harrier Jet in a couple of hours. :rolleyes: Even more astounding is the fact that the jets are still in good operating condition after a thousand years of utter neglect. :confused:

"Rat-brained man-animals will NEVER get leverage on a Psychlo! Mwahahahaaaa!"

[​IMG]

Yes, my friends, that is John Travolta as a Rastafarian Klingon-- oops I mean Psychlo.

3. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

It still kills me, that in today's computer literate society, that movies still make computers that make noises when the display shows characters and stuff. Get with the program, people.

4. iOrlando macrumors 68000

that in Transformers 2

1) they travel through space
    2) the army manages to throw one of Obamas Aide out of the airplane so easily
    3) America ends up fighting the transformers in Egypt with like no help from anyone else
    4) Shia actually portrays injuries (althought it was due to a car crash). I mean what movie does the actor actually show injuries that they supposedly would get from all the on scene action.

5. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

^^ You expected a movie about sentient robots from another planet that come to earth and morph into Tractor Trailers to hunt down a little magic cube to be realistic? :eek:

The National Treasures were great for stupid stuff (albeit, you just have to go along for the ride with those anyway).. Sean Bean's guy in the first one does a Yahoo search for some obscure name and the top result is just what he wants. Yeah, right.

That, and Bruce Lee kung fu moves. :yawn: :rolleyes:

6. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Processing that converts two pixels of grainy overcompressed surveillance video into a crystal clear 2-megapixel image of the perp's face or license plate.

Then my clients ask why I can't make the 100x100px jpeg on their website print beautifully at 8x10".

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

That's the one that gets me too. They do it every week in the CSI shows.

8. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

On that note, everything computer-related in Live Free or Die Hard was absolutely ridiculous, although unintentionally humorous as well.

9. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Hey, it had Mac in it. Of course it was possible. :D

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

IP addresses containing octets with numbers > 255. :rolleyes:

11. timerollson macrumors 65816

In every action movie, when the villain tells his goons to attack the hero.. Instead of pouncing on the protagonist all at once, they circle him and WAIT one-by-one to take him on. It's silly.

12. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I wonder if that's the internet equivalent of phone numbers that start with 555 -- so that they don't actually specify a real IP address?

Nah, on second thought, probably just clueless writers.

13. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

They don't need anyone else, they always save the world single handedly! Come on, get with the program! :)

For me, Goose getting killed in Top Gun, The ejector seats are set so the top is always higher than the person sitting in it, so if the canopy doesn't release properly, the seat back hits it out the way. Geeky I know, but something close to my heart :p

14. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

James Bond. I love the films, but sometimes they go way over the top. I think the one with Remington Steele kite surfing in the arctic was the worst by far. :D

What I find more funny is how we tend to turn our suspension of disbelief on or off depending on the show. Sometimes the "unbelievable" in movies and TV don't bother me at all and then at other times it drives me crazy.

15. emdotdee macrumors regular

emdotdee

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I'm not getting it, but it may be that's late here and I should be in bed.

What I find stupid is, that computers being seen on TV or a film, run always some kind of special OS, even for normal people.
    Sometimes we get a glimpse at th reals thing, but often they show us some made up OS.

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

That's usually to avoid trademark violations.

18. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

i can't see what u r referring to???

19. emdotdee macrumors regular

emdotdee

She wants to fly to Ireland, gets diverted to Wales, and then someone offers to drive her to Ireland.

20. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

"Really dumb things you see in the movies"

At least 3/4 of the audience

21. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Does that mean, if I see an actual Windows or Mac OS X desktop interface on screen, that the producers violated the trademarks or paid money to MS or Apple?

But I see a lot of Dells and HPs and Macs in TV/film too - but that's called advertisement/product placement. Why is showing the actual OS not the same?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Ferries.

http://www.aferry.co.uk/ferry-to-ireland-irish-ferries-uk.htm

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Having become fairly adept with firearms in the last year, TV & Movie shootouts just don't seem very plausible anymore. It's more than the one we all catch, never/rarely reloading.. It's control, aim, stance, acquisition.

What? That's possible. Just keep the windows up! :)

23. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That reminds me how silent those firearms are in film and TV.

If they would use the real volume during shoot outs, no one would go and see those action films though. They would be deaf by the first sex scene.

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yes! Agreed. I forgot that one. Images where there's shooting inside small spaces. That **** is LOUD in real life!

Good one!

25. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

That must be how people working at CTU or the FBI are able to crack encryption codes in a matter of minutes, or pull up full schematics on random buildings or do complex database searches in seconds. :D