Really easy solutions for remote desktoping into my folks computer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sim667, Dec 8, 2014.

1. sim667 macrumors 65816

So having just spent half an hour on the phone explaining to my dad how to reset his email password, I want to find a solution so I can just log onto their computer. Now I can do this from outside my network and have done previously by setting up port forwarding once, and setting up a VPN another time. But I don't want all the hassle of doing this on my parents computer and don't want to leave ports open all the time on their router.

So is there an easy piece of software I can do to just tell them to toggle it on and off so I can connect when necessary?

2. sim667 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I didn't know about that.

They're on mavericks though, and unwilling to upgrade until we've worked out why osx got rid of my dads contacts.

I'm also still on mavericks, and unable to upgrade as my dj equipment isn't compatible with yosemite.

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

This functionality has worked with iChat and Messages using AIM accounts for years. Yosemite just added the ability to do away with the AIM accounts.

A.

4. sim667 thread starter macrumors 65816

But it still requires yosemite, regardless of whether its an AIM or an Icloud account I assume.

Apparently teamview will do what I want and is free :)

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

No, iChat (and now Messages) has had screen-sharing built in since Leopard, I think. You each just need an AIM account (which many people had at the time). Yosemite just drops the requirement for AIM.

A.

6. sim667 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh I see.

thanks.