Really frustrated with this movie software

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by niuniu, Mar 29, 2009.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I've been trying to get into making some amateur movies, nothing heavy, just want to be able to cut and paste some scenes together and throw over some music. Maybe add some text in parts. Really, that's all. Last time I made some clips like this was about 8 years ago on WMM..

So anyway, I got iMovie 08 before Christmas and just gave up. I just can't use it - I'm not stupid, it's just the thing is infuriating. Can anyone recommend something simple for my purpose?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

iMovie is meant for just that, but it is also meant for people that have never used a non-linear editor before. In order to use '08 right, you have to let go of your previous habits and preconceived notions of video editing and try to just "throw it together."

If you want something more advanced, go for iMovie '09 or Final Cut Express.

3. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I think you can still download iMovie 6. IMO, it's a simpler and more intuitive interface.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not legally anymore.

5. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

Would iMovie 09 not just be the same as 08? Final Cut sounds too advanced :(

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

'09 has no timeline, like '08, but it has many of the advanced features from
    '06.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Apple makes "Final Cut Express" just for people who are serious amatuers, like us. It has a bit of a learning curve but you get used to it. There is not much it can't do.

iMovie is for the person who just got back from vacation and thinks "editing" means removes the parts that are out of focus

Final Cut is a multi-track editor that will handle the kinds of video formats a home user is likely to have.

8. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

Im sorry but if you can't figure out how to use imovie 08, I don't believe you figured out how to turn you computer on and launch imovie 08, it requires less steps then booting a computer!

Anyway, try using an open source editor, they usually are very intuitive. Google: open source video editors Mac osx. Avoid Cinelerra, it is horrid.

9. fxstb2002 macrumors member

iMovie 08 is dead simple. I bought my first Mac in October and made a movie in iMovie the same day. It took like 10 minutes to figure it out.

10. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Instead of recommending you buy new software.....

What exactly are you trying to accomplish in iMovie '08? (besides what you have already stated above)

What is giving you problems?

Have you watched to tutorials on apple.com? (Click Here)

Be very specific....As far as I can see, Buying FCE would probably be a waste of money for you and iMovie '09 might not have anything to offer you over iMovie '08.

11. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

I had a look at the iMovie 09 tutorials today - it looked a lot better (for me) than my 08.. I might pick it up...

I like the look of FCE - price is nice too.. need to do a little more research on fce and im09 before I pick one. Thanks though.

It's the feel of im08 that I find frustrating. I never feel in control of what I'm doing. Sure I could spend more time on it and get to grips with it - but I like to enjoy my software and that's not going to happen. I watched the tutorials when I first got it, and watched some guys on youtube do tutorials as well. It just wasn't made for me I guess.

I want to make little movies - nothing too heavy, under 10 minutes, some effects with clips cut and paste from footage I shoot. Throw in some music and work on presenting a dramatic feel and share it with some buddies on another forum..

I think that the process behind that should be simple, with the creativity being the hard part. Atm that's not happening.

Btw, after looking at im09, it works more traditionally that im08 it seems (though I'm just going by what I've seen, haven't tried it)

---------------------------------------------------------

Look, thanks guys - I'm going to watch some more vids and pick up one of those two.. both look appealing and in budget :)

12. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Well I don't know what else to tell you other than getting FCE4. Be warned though that FCE4 (or FCP) has a pretty big learning curve. Don't expect to install it and jump right in, You actually have to read the first couple hundred pages of the 1100 page manual before it starts to make sense to you.

Once you do get the hang of the Final Cut workflow, you will find that it is really easy to get your movie cut just how you want it. I would definitely recommend your buy / learn final cut because the control you have over your movie is far superior to anything iMovie has to offer. (except iMovie '09 has image stabilization which would be nice and isn't offered in FCE)

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Final cut express is not brain surgury. press i for your start/input... o for your outpoint drag to timeline...repeat. There are plenty of tuturoals on youtube to help you...
    Once you get the hang of it, you'll be glad to have these advance features.

14. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

FCE 4 is not too hard to learn if you have a reasonable "feel" for video editing.

I jumped from iMovie 6 to FCE 4 and the learning curve wasn't too bad and once you get comfortable in FCE4 you'll find it's much easier to work with than iMovie 6 ever was.

The Apple Pro Training Series book for FCE 4 is a helpful tool if you want to learn FCE4 step-by-step, the tutorials are excellent.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TQ718Z/A?mco=MzE2OTkzMw

15. mmulin macrumors 6502

My 6 year old daughter is using iMovie'08 for stuff in school and with her friends. Took her 2 days to show me proudly her first movie. But your mileage may vary as brain wiring varies ;)

Good luck though finding something which suits you. For myself I use QT & FCE for pre-editing on my laptop and FCP on the desktop for the final cut.

16. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

yea if u are a serious amiture, and cant find iMovie 06, go with final cut express.:cool:

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Have you looked at the help? I guess not.

Exactly. iMovie is really simple to pick up.