iPhone X Really impressed with the X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shenfrey, Feb 12, 2018.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Had it for 2 weeks now and still look forward to using it.

I think the display is superb, the size is perfect and Face ID is so much better than I thought it would be. The best thing about it however? I have to say just how fluid it is. I know we all complain about IOS 11, but I have to say that this phone is lightening fast and I couldn’t imagine it being any more responsive than it already is. Coming from an iPhone 7, even though it’s only one generation old it feels sluggish in comparison. Maybe it’s the just the chip inside, making even unoptimised software feel fast.

Went for the 64GB for two reasons, 1. This version only cost me £400 thanks to a friend selling me one, but 2. I checked the storage on my 7 and even though I had 128GB after over a year I only used 25GB.

Anyway just wanted to post something positive, and FYI, the notch doesn’t bother me at all. Forget it’s there most of the time.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Yep I love my X. Been rocking it for over a month and it’s just buttery. I haven’t been this impressed since I got the 4, which was mindblowing at the time.

Best iPhone I’ve ever had, including the 5S. I have that same “this is amazing” feeling I did with the 4.

3. raqball macrumors 68000

Me three!

I dig mine and was skeptical about it before actually having it and using it on a daily basis..

4. parajba macrumors 6502

Same here, cannot believe how good this phone is. Everything, and I mean really everything, works very well. So fast. So smooth.

5. Calebt59 macrumors member

Me Too

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have had mine since launch day and it is by far, the best iPhone I have ever had.

7. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Another chiming in on the love fest. I've had mine about 2 weeks now and I look forward to using it everyday as well. I had the 8 Plus since launch and even though it was a great phone it just didn't excite me the way the X has. In the end the Plus was just too big and the X is the perfect size to me.

8. xxray macrumors 6502a

I don't even know that it's the chip. I mean, I'm sure that's part of it, but I think a lot of the smoothness comes from the gesture-based UI over the home button. I did notice the X seems much faster and smoother than my 7+ when I tried it out in stores. Made me a bit jealous since speed is one of the most important things to me in a phone.

9. Superhappytree, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

The gestures just make it appear smooth. I still see random jitters and stutters when pulling down notification centre when in apps for example, it’s like it can be consistently smooth for a while and then randomly out of nowhere it stutters. The YouTube app still stutters on it, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, the Music app and the App Store itself all stutter on it. It isn’t completely smooth at all, not like it could and should be. The software just lets it down for me.

In short:

Pros - hardware (apart from the notch)

Cons - iOS 11

iOS 12 better be the performance improvement that Apple are saying it will be.

10. Kram Sacul macrumors regular

Kram Sacul

As does 99% of the people who actually use a X. Only on the Internet do you hear people whine about something so insignificant.

11. Brandonjr36 macrumors 68000

Brandonjr36

I heard 11.3 is a lot better performance wise.

12. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

I enjoy my iPhone X, but am I in love with it? No. The notch isn’t a problem for me. What bothers me is that the developers aren’t updating their apps fast enough to accommodate the display. Face ID is fast enough for me and works 9/10 times. It doesn’t work for me when I wake up for some reason. Weird. Also, sucks that it can’t scan me in landscape.

Overall, it is the smoothest iPhone I have ever used. Just fluid and it’s hard to go back to a home button based iPhone.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The majority of the negativity about the iPhone X is the price point and the notch, which really are not major arguments if one can justify the price point and then look past the notch for what it is. Then again, I don’t really hear anyone complaining about the iPhone X outside a tech forum either. It’s a great iPhone in its own right.

14. john123 macrumors 68020

john123

I'm really interested in hearing you say more precisely because you said you were skeptical at first. Can you talk a bit more about what won you over? As someone who has spent a little time in the stores playing with the X, I found myself going a little nutty over the move to gestures. I realize there's a learning curve, but was there some inflection point when you went from skepticism to "Hey I've gotten used to this and it's actually a better way to use a phone"? What was it?

15. russelljg macrumors member

The majority of the negativity about the iPhone X is the price point, FaceID, and the notch, which really are major arguments if one can’t justify the price point, don’t like or value FaceID and look at the notch for what it is. Then again, I don’t really hear anyone praising the iPhone X outside a tech forum either. It’s an iPhone.

There’s the other view.

16. Relentless Power, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

So you created a strawman argument by saying Exact opposite what I said? That said:

Clearly if one is justifying the pricepoint and they make the purchase of the iPhone X, they’re not likely complaining about it. Don’t you think that be the logical conclusion would be when somebody realizes what they’re spending their money on in the first place? The consumer already established what they like about the iPhone before they made the purchase. Everybody seems to have a general complaint about smart phone in general, that’s the nature of technology. It’s not perfect. But I would be willing to believe the majority are more than content with their iPhone X.

So, just because you don’t hear anybody praising iPhone X outside a tech forum doesn’t indicate any negativity either. I would also question how many you actually know that own-an iPhone X to begin with as a metric that don’t “Praise” it.

17. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I agree it is a superb phone and when I think about it, yes its the best phone i have ever owned.

Much of the negativity you read is a combination of rival companies using employees to post negative information (eg: MacRumours newbies posting multiple duplicate threads, all of which are predictably negative, either blatantly or by stealth). The others are your usual misinformed ignorant Apple haters spouting the usual inaccuracies and proclaiming they are fact to whoever will listen. These people likely feel this way due to the cost but will proclaim that Apple users flaunt their tech and of course that the tech is years out of date (even though the X hammers the competition in benchmarks and the HomePod speaker design is unique and incredible sounding).

Meanwhile however, those in the know will carry on enjoying their Apple products and couldn't really care less about what others are using. Also they forget that Apple users will be lovers of tech by other companies too, after all Apple doesn't make everything! Enjoy your new phone, its a truly lovely device :)

18. Skika macrumors 68030

Absolutely love it as well. Big screen in a barely bigger body than my 7 was, something i always wanted.

19. russelljg macrumors member

That was the whole point, the 'argument' is pointless either way as it's self justifying.

It's just the opposite of 'don’t really hear anyone complaining'.....again pointless.

20. raqball macrumors 68000

My concerns were the following:
    1. Loosing the home button and having to use gestures
    2. Unlocking the phone when flat on a desk or coffee table
    3. faceID
    4. The notch - not really a concern - more of a I don't know if I will like it over time type thing
    What I knew I liked about the X:
    1. The form factor. A much larger screen in about the same physical size as the 8
    2. OLED screen. I prefer them over LCD
    3. Unique look
    In store play time really did nothing to squash any of my concerns and I was not ready to plop down 1K on a phone I was not sure of so I bought the 8. As I got close to my my 2 week point of no return period with the 8 I again wobbled over the X. I decided to make the swap as the only way to know was with actual hands on time outside of a store where I'd have in hands time to evaluate it. You can't really test faceID in store and since they are locked down to a security cable it's hard to get an overall grasp on overall usage of it.

I've only had it for a week and a half but I am very happy with my decision. What I knew I liked about the X (posted above) holds true. My concerns about X were unjustified for the most part. I do have a few minor complaints but they could be addressed via software fixes.

A relook at my concerns list from above:
    1. I do not miss the home button one bit and gestures are fluid and intuitive. Took me about a day to adjust to them and now I don't think I could ever go back to a home button having iPhone.
    2. Not really doable unless I move over the phone, slightly raise it, or have it semi upright in a desk stand. I've adapted and this is no longer and issue for me.
    3. faceID great works for me in all instances. Day, night, with glasses, with sunglasses, ect. I rarely have a failure to unlock.
    4. I don't even notice the notch anymore for the most part when using the phone. It does add a unique look to the phone though and I actually dig it.
    Minor gripes:
    1. Unlocking from lock screen. When faceID notices my ugly mug I'd prefer it unlock right to the home screen without a need to swipe up. Apple could add a toggle to allow users to set this. Or they could have it do this if there are no unread notifications. I'd prefer a setting but either would work for me.
    2. Closing / clearing open apps is a pain. Once at the app list, I'd prefer the ability to just swipe up to dismiss. On the X, you need to tap and hold before you can swipe up and clear them. It's a pain and I still find myself doing the old way quite often which then causes me to have to go back and try again.
    Overall I am very, very happy with the X. It has a few things I do not like but they are minor and could be fixed via software / firmware updates in the future. In store time play time is a waste with X and you won't get a true feeling for it until you get some serious in hands usage. I'd say anyone on the fence needs to roll the dice and try it as long as they are willing to eat a return / restocking fee if they are not happy with it. To me it was worth a possible restocking fee to give it a run.

Hope that helps.

21. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Funny how the normal band of complainers have no issues with yet another thread praising the X :)

I agree and love my X. I have a few issues with FaceID but nothing that would deter me from enjoying my X. The gestures on the X are so fluid and natural, that they are missed when I need to work on my wife's 7+. If I still had my 7+, I would have found the reason to jailbreak in order to bring the gestures to the 7+. I am not a fan of the notch, but understand why its there, and really have no issues with it when using the phone for anything but video. I am so excited to learn what lies in store for the 2018 iPhone's and can't wait to get the PLUS model this year.

22. sparky08 macrumors regular

I'd be happy if that's all it cost to own one. Why did your friend sell it for such a huge loss?

23. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

He originally wanted to give it me for free, as a gift, but I couldn’t accept it. So I decided to give him whatever price I could get for my old phone, which was £400.

24. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

I've used the X far more than any other iPhone I've had (all of them since the 3GS). Where I used to grab my iPad Pro 10.5 to look something up or have a quick browse etc., I'll now use my X. It's a huge pleasure to use and I'm seriously considering passing my iPad on to someone else in the family.

25. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

Let's not lose our minds.......:p:D:)

(Just in case, my comment is lost in translation....I am kidding)