Really Impressed....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vlug, Jun 28, 2010.

1. vlug macrumors 6502

Gotta say my iPhone 4 battery is amazing compared to my 3GS.

I have only had to fully charge it ONCE since Thursday when I picked it up and Bluetooth/Location Services and PUSH have all been on, and ofcourse ive been messing with it like mad.

Yes its been plugged in to iTunes some what when configuring things and plugged into my car head unit so it has been getting a little extra juice since Thursday but still its so much better than my 3GS.

If it wasn't for the antenna issue I would be very very happy right now.

2. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Yeah the iPhone 4 naturally has better battery life. I was just expecting a tiny difference but wow i got 2 days and 13 hours (standby&usage combined) out of mine and it was only at 8% when i charged it up again.

for comparison...my 3GS was dead at about 1 day 2-3 hours (standby&usage combined) so ive got double battery life :eek:

unfortunate about the reception issues. my only problem with the iphone 4 is worrying about scratches or dropping it lol.

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

1. The battery life is much better. With my 3GS it would be at 40-50% by 1-2pm. With the iP4 my batter life is at 70-80% by 1-2pm. That's huge. If a phone can get through the day it's good, most folks charge at night anyway.

2. Reception issue is a pain, but most folks will end up with a case anyway.

4. doyle369 macrumors regular

I charge mine every night, I aint let it go below 70%

5. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

For those of you that are getting good battery life can you explain how you use the phone? For me I am either on the Internet, checking mail, which includes downloading and sending pictures, gaming, texting, using gps, etc. I feel I use pretty much all of the iPhone features throughout the day. I will diminish my battery by the evening. So, does it depend on usage for you all?

6. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Are we supposed to let these batteries drain out completely at first? or is that a myth?

7. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

I am disappointed with the battery. I am coming from the bb world, so that could be it. Yeterday after a full charge, my usage was at 12 hours and my battery was down to 10 %. I was connected to wifi a good part of the day but not surfing that much. I also have Bluetooth in my car which auto connects every time I drive. Only spoke 3 mins talk time. Any ideas here? Why is my usage 12 hours when I probably was only actively doing things for 2?

8. Apple iMe macrumors newbie

I have to say Im totally blown away by every aspect of the iPhone 4.

I cant even say the reception matter is a problem as it personally hasnt affected me in the slightest (I can only recreate the effect if i really try to). Making calls has been a joy as they sound is so much clearer than my 3GS.

GPS is more responsive, battery is VERY impressive, build feels incredible, screen is stunning, performance is lightening quick. WiFi is brilliant over my N network.

Very very happy. I feel sad for the people who dont feel the same way.

9. billyjoegibsonx macrumors 6502

Like i said in an earlier post I'm getting about 2 1/2 days of usage in a full charge.

I'm just using it like i did with my 3GS

WiFi on when at home
    Always on GPRS/EDGE (only use 3G when needed)
    Location services off.
    Push notifications off.
    Brightness is between 1/4 and 1/2 full.
    Send about 50-100 texts a day.
    Check emails every hour or so.
    Use twitter/facebook/safari most.
    watch a video now and then.
    Use Stocks, Weather, App store, iTunes moderately.

Haven't pushed it using things like Games, TuneIn Radio, Youtube, Maps yet which are consuming (cpu/data) so might see a difference in life, but anything more than 1 day 3 hours is good :)

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, the battery life seems better. My 3GS was getting worse battery life after upgrading to iOS4. I guess whenever a new OS debuts at the same time as a new iPhone it's probably a good idea not to upgrade to the new OS if you have an older iPhone as they're obviously designed to work best together.

This isn't a personal conversation and adds nothing to the thread.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

Yes - the iPhone 4 battery life is better.

I also think it APPEARS much better to those that have had their phones for awhile because even though it's a small amount, the longer and more often you charged your previous phone, it lost a bit of it's battery strength. So after two years of cycles, it's not retaining 100 percent of the charge anyway. Which would make even a new 3GS last longer than your old one.

That's not to say the iPhone 4 battery isn't lasting longer. But the variance also depends on your older phone too.

12. nfl46 macrumors 603

I love this battery life! I'm really impressed! I'm ready for next year, with even better battery life. In a few years from now, people won't see the need for removable battery.

13. cubvenam macrumors newbie

draining the battery

YOU SHOULD cycle a battery once or twice the first time you get it because the lithium ion cells need to expand within their casing so that they take up the entire room. it is good to take advantage of the battery.

14. alakazzam macrumors member

This is one of the reasons I was contemplating upgrading to the iP4 because my 3GS's battery life is pretty terrible. iOS4 doesn't seem to be helping this either. I'm still not sure it's worth the upgrade though.

15. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I do all of the above and I'm easily getting two full days, if not more, out of a single charge.

16. vlug thread starter macrumors 6502

Push email to exchange server on
    Bluetooth turned on
    Location Services turned on
    Wifi turned on and connected for about 22 hours of the day.

Web Browsing, some iPlayer / TVCatchup / No Games / Some iPod usage and Radio usage.

I dont text much but have sent about 20 since launch day, and about 20 calls a day no long conversations.

From what I have gathered I can go a full day and a half at full usage without having to conserve battery life by watching what battery intensive tasks I do such as video or turning services off. Where as before with the 3GS I made sure I turned wifi off when it wasnt needed and bluetooth etc etc

17. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

To be safe, I still charge it every night like before. However, I'm finding that I have much more juice left at the end of the day with similar or greater usage. It's nice!

18. ianray macrumors 6502

From http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html:

:cool:

19. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

Not quite. Li-ion batteries won't gain/lose battery life by draining them fully then recharging. What happens, however, is that the electronic "clock" inside the battery gets reset so the battery life may seem longer because the meter is more accurate. It's recommended to fully discharge once every month or so so it stays calibrated. Other than that, you should keep the battery topped off (when possible) to prolong life.

For instance, my old 2G iPhone would drain quickly to 6%, then stay there for a full hour of usage. Crazy. Training the battery a couple times helped a lot. This is also why people are getting poor battery life with their new iPhone 4. Another reason is that setting it up from a backup (instead of as a new phone) can import settings that skew the battery meter accuracy or drain it unwillingly for whatever reason. When I used a jailbroken 2G with T-Mobile, I discovered that the push application daemon (even though push was turned off) was constantly running in the background, endlessly attempting to connect to AT&T/Apple push servers. So the battery drained even on standby. Removing this daemon did the trick.

So setting up your phone as new will prevent any conflicts in the OS that could potentially run your battery down. You can import your contacts, email, apps & such back in, but you'll lose network settings, SMS, and app settings like saved games.

20. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

Yes the battery over previous iPhones is really excellent. Apple did the right thing here. Not only does it last longer, but it doesn't drain as quickly when doing battery intensive tasks like 3G and GPS. Combined with the screen, double the RAM and better processor, the iPhone 4 is an amazing little device that's hard to fault. And I don't own anything else Apple. In my view the iPhone is the best product they sell.

The reception issue is debatable, and if you're in a poor reception area I can see how you might get upset. I was surfing on 3G all morning and never had an issue. Hopefully it's a software issue and Apple can fix it, as it's really the only thing that can be legitimately criticized.