Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
I backup my Touch every sync, so I know it's not just having to backup a lot of stuff unless it's messing up by redoing things. My iPod has been syncing for a few hours now, when it should only take half an hour tops given that I sync at least once a day and like I said I keep it backed up. I'm aware that at least for OS 1.0 there was a send logs to Apple option that slowed things down a lot, did that somehow get turned on? I'm not sure where I'd find that checkbox. Can anyone help fix this?

Thanks, Nate

MacBlackBook22

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
Canada
I backup my Touch every sync, so I know it's not just having to backup a lot of stuff unless it's messing up by redoing things. My iPod has been syncing for a few hours now, when it should only take half an hour tops given that I sync at least once a day and like I said I keep it backed up. I'm aware that at least for OS 1.0 there was a send logs to Apple option that slowed things down a lot, did that somehow get turned on? I'm not sure where I'd find that checkbox. Can anyone help fix this?

Thanks, Nate

Same here I have had mine working on the backup for about 10 hours and the meter still shows only half of its been backed up... sheesh at this rate it will be this evening before its all backed up and which is crazy as it only has to back up less than 1GB... This is a 1st G one and only 8GB on that I mostly use as my ebook reader

jmvideo

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2008
Is there any way of stopping these long backup times?

Can the backup routine be cancelled so it just syncs?

This 3.0 is getting on my nerves!

Regards

John

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
When it says "Backing Up (iPod name)", hit the X icon next to it. It'll stop and continue with the sync. We'll probably have to wait for a firmware update for it to be fixed, I know some people had the same problem with 2.0 and it was fixed with 2.1.

al1cre

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
Is there any way of stopping these long backup times?

Can the backup routine be cancelled so it just syncs?

This 3.0 is getting on my nerves!

Regards

John

This isn't a comprehensive solution but it might help. I have an app called AppSniper (nice app). If you leave the icon display on, it will cache every icon of all of the apps it lists (new apps or apps that go on sale). Each of those icons in the cache gets backed up. AppSniper recognized the problem and added an option to clear the icon cache (and/or not download icons), but many people don't know about it. I'm sure other apps have the same kind of cache that doesn't get cleared out. You might try reviewing the apps you run and (if it's not a pain to redo settings) you might remove them and then re-add them, which should clear out the cache.

Clearing the AppSniper cache alone saved a lot of backup time for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.