Really Loud Fan !!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by theironist08, Oct 5, 2008.

1. theironist08 macrumors regular

Laptops are essential in my lectures and tutorials. I would be running Word, Powerpoint, and possibly Firefox at the same time. Since this can be tiresome on your battery, I'd generally have my power adapter hooked up too. However I tend to get this loud fan noise every now and then (whirring noise). Sometimes it will last upto a minute and then it just stops. Its a bit of a nuisance when you're in your tutorials..
    Any thoughts??
    Thanks in advance..

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Try to see what's using all that CPU by using Activity Monitor. Sort the processes by CPU%.

3. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Sometimes my MacBook will start its fans if I run too many programs at once. However that tends be only CPU or memory intensive applications like Photoshop.

4. iRiFF macrumors newbie

i got a replacement macbook 2 days ago and the fan on that is loud, my other one (that i got replaced) never made a sound but got a bit hotter than this one.

5. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Try downloading an application such as smcFanControl. If your MacBook is being noisy for prolonged periods of time you can cut the fans down, although doing this whilst the MacBook is running hot is not the most advisable thing to do.

The fan itself should not be so noisy as to disrupt even a silent room in the library; at 6200RPM my fan is still quieter than any other laptop I have come across.