Really loving the new haptic feedback/button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eoblaed, Sep 21, 2016.

1. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

I know some reviewers said it took them a few hours to get used to it. The only thing it took me a little while to get used to was making sure at least some of the flesh of my finger was pressing the button (ie. since it's not physical, it won't press if you use just your nail).

The feeling it gives is very satisfying. I find myself doing things just to feel the feedback. The little areas around the OS where they incorporate a more general feedback sensation is nice as well. Subtle, informative, immersive.

My only 'gotcha' moment was when I'd powered the phone off completely (trying to deal with a wonky App Store issue), forgot it was fully powered off instead of just 'sleeping', and tried to wake it up by pressing the home button. Since it's not physically a button, there was no tactile sensation, and since the phone was powered off, there was no haptic feedback, so it felt like I was pressing on a piece of hard glass. For a second I was ... "WTF IS GOING ON. WHY IS EVERYTHING BROKEN AND WHY IS THIS BUTTON JUST ACTING LIKE A SHEET OF GL.... oh." Then, I laughed, powered it on, and all was right in the world again. :)

2. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

It's incredibly good. Stunningly good. Apple knocked it out of the park. The first press was a little awkward for me but I was pretty much used to it after like 15 minutes.

3. bluespark macrumors 65816

My reaction as well. It felt strange in the store for about five minutes, then fine, then I loved it.

4. Leo90 macrumors 6502

Same here haha Whenever I press an old iPhone, it feels weird

5. Guda.FL macrumors regular

Its amazing i love it too. Not sure what the pissy buzz was about it by bloggers.

After using it, the mechanical buttons feels ancient.

6. asfalloth macrumors member

asfalloth

I have to agree with every comment thus far on this post. It took me max of 2 mins and it felt just right after that. Even left it set to level 2 default.

7. GooMan macrumors regular

GooMan

My son has commented several times how much he loves the new "button". In using his phone a few times it seemed fine to me too. Not sure what all the fuss was about.

8. SaddleSC macrumors member

Agree completely...my 7 just arrived a half hour ago and it was love at first press! I find it quicker to double tap also, which is great for multi-tasking. Apple definitely nailed it with the new home button. Very happy.

9. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

Yes! I've always wondered why Apple hadn't included haptic feedback on the iPhone considering it's a technology that's been around for so long.

Before making the switch the iPhone in 2009, my first smartphone was a 2008 Samsung Behold (Android wasn't even a thing back then) and it had haptic feedback. I absolutely loved the feeling of tapping the screen and getting that feedback from the phone, and it was the one feature I missed the most.

I hope they continue to expand its presence in iOS. Right now, one of my favorite examples of it is when you're in Clock app, setting an alarm. Scrolling through the times/options feels so pleasant!

10. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

11. pixel_junkie macrumors regular

pixel_junkie

I though it was a dumb idea on Apple part. Even started a thread about it. Then went and tried it and thought it is super cool, feels great.

Another affirmation for "always try sh*t for yourself and listen to other people less"

12. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Haha, no kidding. :)

I even see that thread you're talking about in the 'similar threads' section just below:

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 3.24.43 PM.png

13. Rangers94 macrumors regular

Rangers94

I agree. It's very satisfying and responsive. When I go back to the "old" home button it feels squishy and out dated.

14. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Apple are just priming us for the complete removal of the button...

15. KPOM macrumors G5

I like the new button, as well. Expect to see this in the next iPads.

16. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Yeah, I was digging it right away, turned it down to 1, will turn it up when in cold weather. I like it.

17. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Apple giving you stuff that should have been added like 5 years ago...

18. newellj macrumors 601

I agree. My 2015 MBPr has the same trackpad, so it all feels very much the same now, notwithstanding a few comments from reviewers who didn't feel that way. A big plus.

19. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I don't know that I like it more than the actual button, but after having my 7 for 3 days, I'm pretty much used to it.

I am liking the "raise to wake" + TouchID to unlock though. Very convenient.

20. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I miss being able to click the button with my nail or anything that's not skin. Might become a bigger problem in the winter.

21. JacksonCraig94 macrumors regular

JacksonCraig94

I'm loving the new home button. I instantly got used to it. I have my setting on level 2. :)

22. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

In my opinion the new home button was a good reason to upgrade. Never had home button problems before but many here have and now these problems are eliminated!

Also like the newer taptic motor.

23. blah35 macrumors regular

Enjoying the new home button as well. I use the double-click to switch apps all day long, and this feels faster to me. Like I can click it twice in half the time.

Also, sometimes my old home button would feel sticky. But that could be because I needed to stop eating near my phone.

Anyway, yay!

24. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

My phone hasn't arrived yet but I've used it in the Apple Store and found I really liked it. I can't really understand how it takes getting used to personally, maybe for people who are used to pushing the home button with just their nail or something.

25. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 65816

eoblaed

It only took me a couple of days to adjust my clicking of the button. I never mis-click anymore.