Really low FPS On Games + Some lag

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mihali99, Jul 11, 2011.

1. mihali99 macrumors newbie

Alright so my macs specs are as follows:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac10,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

I am playing world of warcraft and I'm getting like 20 fps and its agonising to have to play with such low frame rate. My brother has the same mac with a different graphics card and gets 60 fps he bought his last year and i'm assuming that, that cant make that much of a difference. Any help will be very much appreciated.

Cheers

MIchael

2. macman1man macrumors newbie

Graphics card makes ALL the difference, your GPU is the bottle neck. Add 32 Gigs of RAM, SSD, and 5 Quad cores CPUS, BUT if your GPU is not up to the job you will still get 20 FPS.

3. mihali99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey all my family tells me I cant upgrade my mac, is this incorrect is it possible to upgrade my crap???

Michael

4. rj86 macrumors member

You're going to have trouble upgrading your GPU, yes.

20 FPS does sound very low for your machine though, might be worth turning down things like shading etc that are known not to run well with OpenGL drivers.

5. macman1man macrumors newbie

Jobs doesn't want you to upgrade your Mac, he wants you to go buy the latest model.

6. mihali99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Elaborate :D

All my settings are on low spikes up to 30 fps somtimes

7. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

There's no much to elaborate. Simply put, you CAN'T change/upgrade your GPU.
    20 fps still looks too low. On my 2008 MBP, playing on an external 20" ACD I get 50+ fps. Most settings on low, some on fair, obviously not in raid.
    Try removing WTF, Cache, Interface folders.

8. mihali99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Already done all the stuff D:

9. macman1man macrumors newbie

What do you want us to do for you then? Its like buying a Range Rover and asking us to suggest ways for you to improve aerodynamics and cornering. Why did you buy a range rover in the first place if these things matter to you? Here is your answer: Downgrade all the settings to LOW, yes LOW, or stick to playing solitaire until you upgrade the whole machine to another all in one (keeping Jobs in the money) with faster GPU OR spec out your own PC which can also be upgraded in the future to meet increasing demands (nice idea isn't it, to plan ahead and leave room to expand). A lot people seem to be buying iMac's and surprised at their limitations. The idea is you buy it, and when it gets too slow you sell it on flebay and buy another one! And no, you can't use that lovely 27" screen as just a monitor when the rest of the machine dies or gets too slow...

10. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Hmmm...no need to be that rude...

11. mihali99 thread starter macrumors newbie

1. You're an ass

2. My parents bought it for my birthday and i'm not a spoilt **** thats going to say no I want that one.

I have put all my settings on low so either your illiterate or you're retarded because you didn't read my above post. I started this thread for ideas not for a loser like you to post. Leave.

12. The-Pro, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

The-Pro macrumors 65816

Hey man

What GPU do you have in your machine, is it the 9400M or the HD4670??? The reason why your brother is getting way higher fps is probably because if he bought it last year then he has an i3 model!?? which also means he got a dedicated graphics card as standard.

Im asking because the 9400M is not that good of a GPU and could be the problem here. What resolution are you playing at?? If you've set to 1920x1080 then expect very low frame rates.According to a website the 9400M should play WOW on low settings, res 1280x 800 at 120fps. Medium settings about 50fps. Im pretty sure your problem is that you have the screen res to high :(

13. jkmags macrumors member

I cant say I know all that much about the Mac OS or iMac revs but if you can run the latest version of Mac OS without costing you $$ it might be worth a try, maybe do a backup prior if their are any issues,.

Also, If running on low settings doesn't,. make sure shadows and those special lighting effects are off and see if that helps.

Link - on Mac OS X 10.6.8 improvements.
    http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/24/mac-os-x-10-6-8-benchmark-reveals-graphic-speed-improvement/

14. hrafnaass macrumors newbie

I have similar FPS issues playing WoW on my MacBook Pro (late 2008/early 2009...specs in my sig). I found that putting settings to low didn't make a huge difference. What I found was that reducing the screen resolution as well as the settings helped a LOT. I was even able to increase some individual settings back up to "fair" and still maintain a decent framerate.

Try fiddling around with resolutions and see what happens :)

15. fleg123 macrumors newbie

How is this possible? If we're talking about turning everything down to low, I can play WoW (****, I can even turn up the settings on a few things) on my 2006 15' inch MBP with an x1600 in it and, outside of org I get generally fluid, definitely playable FPS, not lower than 25.

Is the vid card in that year really that bad?