Really mad at Apple lately...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by callmemike20, May 5, 2009.

1. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I have a MacBook Pro 2.2ghz Santa Rosa that I purchased in September 2007. About 3 months in, my computer would often never awake from sleep mode; I would always have to cold boot. I took it to the genius bar, and they said they may need my computer for a week to get it fixed. Well, I'm a student and need my computer every day, so I can't do that. So, whatever, wasn't a big problem.

Then, my battery was having issues. It wasn't lasting as long as it should. It was at 85% health after 2 months of use. I got that replaced instantly. The battery I have now is at about 70% health and 250 cycles. Battery lasts maybe 1.5 hours unused. I start running on reserve at about 24% life.

A month ago, I tried burning a DVD (I probably only burned 1 other prior to this instance). The MacBook couldn't recognize the blank DVD. So, I tried another disk, another brand, and it didn't work. So I pretty much gave up on burning off this machine.

My power cord also sucks. Sometimes, when I have it plugged in, the computer doesn't even recognize it. I have to unplug it and plug it back in for anything to work. Sometimes I will be playing a game in full screen, where I can't see the battery menu item, and my computer just shuts off. It's annoying.

I did a completely fresh reinstall of leopard a few times to try getting rid of many of these problems.

That's really it for the macbook pro, but I have also been having problems with the iPhone and Airport extreme.

iPhone: had it replaced twice. When I was at a baseball game the other day, I had no service and the internet did not work. The couple next to me had iPhones and they were surfing without a problem.

Airport: Whenever I plug an external drive into this thing, the light goes orange and my network goes out. Other than that, it works well.

What do you guys think I should do? This is my first mac, and I've had so many problems already. I really don't want to go back to windows.

Thinks emailing jobs will do anything?

EDIT: I forgot the main reason for this post. Apple only provides boot camp software and drivers for windows vista 64 bit on 2008 and 2009 versions of the macbook pro. I mean, seriously, wth apple. My computer is fully capable of running 64bit.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Emailing Jobs has basically a 50/50 chance of him replying. "He" has "replied" to smaller things (quality control questions and the like), but rarely ever to things about actual problems you are having. A kid a few months back got sent Final Cut Studio 2 or something for free just because he emailed Steve asking if it was possible that he could get a discount on it. Yet I didn't hear a thing back when I sent an email outlining how Apple literally abused my iPod when it got serviced, how it came back covered in scratches and dented, with the problem still visible, and how the service people I spoke to had no idea what they were doing :rolleyes:

I think someone only replies when it makes them look like a good samaritan.

3. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

lol. I wasn't really expecting anything out of it. I just heard that he sometimes replies to people. So, I thought I would give it a shot.

This weekend was just really bad for me. I had too many issues, the windows thing being the worst of them.

4. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Hey Mike,

It's obvious your computer had a problem, and I know sometimes we can't be without computers, but it's tough to blame Apple if you don't give them a chance to fix the problem.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I don't really buy that, since even high schools have computer labs these days.

While that's a little low, it's not to the point where I'd start blaming Apple for it. You have a lot of cycles in a very short time.

Does it recognize normal DVDs? How about CDs? If it doesn't, then you have a problem.

Clean it off with a Q tip or something, or borrow a new one to see if it's actually the cord.[/QUOTE]

While I sympathize with you for having what is potentially a misbehaving Mac, I don't think you've taken the proper steps to get to the point where you have legitimate complaints.

6. kdum8 macrumors 6502a

kdum8

My MBP has generally been great but I find that the superdrive can be very finicky, not always accepting even perfectly legitimate DVDs. About 10% of the time it will reject them.

I have applecare so I could get it replaced, but never have gotten round to it.

Other than that so far, touch wood, everything has been fine...

7. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I had a problem with my original Core Duo MBP which was replaced asap by Apple due to a slight mess up in the service.

The current MBP I have now which is a 2.2ghz SR has been perfect really. Only problem I have with it is software/driver issue that causes Aperture to be painfully slow....

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No real problems with my Macs, I've had quite a few of them in my years as a apple fanboy :) but so far nothing major. Maybe a couple of minor annoyances but that's about it.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you include the last one I had before a replacement, then yes over 9. It's all good now.

10. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Only problem that i have had so far and i hope i have no more is the option key keeps coming off the keyboard. Other then that no issues so far.

11. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

You guys may be right on the part that I didn't give apple a good chance to fix it. I am just kind of in a rant because of apple's lack of drivers for 64 bit vista on my machine that can definitely handle it.

Also, as for the comment about computer labs at school...

Yes, my university does have computer labs, but there is no way I can sit there for 8 hours + a day. I am writing papers and doing research constantly. On top of that, I also own 2 businesses that I also run off the machine.

Besides, as I said, the thing they were going to fix is only a minor annoyance.

12. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

This poll is useless without splitting up 0 and 1 into different choices. How the hell are you supposed to see how many people have actually had problems?

13. brentsg macrumors 68030

There isn't a lot of practical benefit to using Vista64 on your MBP anyways.

14. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

And though you may be right about sitting in a computer lab for 8 hours, if it has to be done it has to be done. My friend was in our computer lab for over 24 hours just get models and renderings done for our final projects last quarter. I know it would be annoying, but knowing Apple, they will fix your computer, and why not take that chance now before you can't later and they charge you for it or something else goes terribly wrong.

15. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

WHat do you expect the end-result of emailing Steve will be? The only possible outcome would be for you to be told to either send your laptop to Apple, or to bring it in to an Apple store. You haven't even contacted Apple through their normal support channels. You've done nothing it seems but post on these forums, and as such have no case against Apple. Get off your butt, stop wasting time on these forums, and take your computer in to an Apple store. You complain yet you are unwilling to do anything to remedy your situation. Suffer through using the computer lab for the duration; at least you have an alternative to resorting to books and paper!

As far as the drivers, I highly suspect that they are actually included in the Boot Camp software package, irrespective of the fact that your model is not listed online. They were included in the Boot Camp 2.0 package that came with newer Apple computers, which I obtained off a torrent website when I still had my old 2.33GHz MBP, a model which is undoubtedly older than yours.

16. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Looks like Apple just specifically hates you, 58 people with no issues!

17. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

No. 58 people with no issues OR 1 issue. As I said, this poll is useless.

18. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Did you consider that the purpose of this poll was not to figure out who had problems and who did not? Rather, my reason for the poll was to find out who had a fair amount of problems with their machines, thus making 0-1 a moot option. It was simply there to add to the total number of participants in the poll in order to come up with a decent percentage point for the other options.

Also, to all those who said I didn't give apple a chance, I shouldn't have to. Sure, I could give them my laptop for a week to fix the sleep issue, but as I stated, that wasn't my biggest concern. Plus, by buying this product, I expected it to work as intended. I shouldn't have to be inconvenienced because I received a faulty product.

Either way, I am done with my rant. It was mainly just a one night thing where I got really pissed off. Truthfully, my macbook pro is the best computer I've ever had. Apple computers is better than most brands by far. There's a reason the macbook pro was rated the number 1 computer to run windows vista on last year (or was it two years ago? I don't remember). I did by AppleCare for a reason... I know computers have problems, just like cars. The thing that pissed me off was just having too many problems, and also the fact that many of the problems I have are fairly common. One problem unique to my machine, I can understand that.

Alright, I'm going in circles now. So, I'm just going to end here.

19. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Okay then, not entirely useless to you, but in my opinion less useful than it could have been.

20. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

if you need the computer every day and if you run 2 businesses off it you should have a second machine anyway.

aside of that i don't think apple will go to great length to provide windows drivers. regarding the issues of your MBP: it shouldn't have those problems. apple needs to fix it.

21. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

why don't you have a "0" option on your poll? I'll bet you most people have had 0 problems...

22. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I had two logic board replacements, a left and right fan replacement, battery cover replacement, and a clutch replacement. All in one month. Cute! Nice to see what $2800 can get you.