Really messed up this time

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jensilver, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Jensilver macrumors newbie

I was on my Mac book(slightly older, bought fall 2010) and I was clearing out the activity manager for some reason and deleted launchd and now I'm looking at a blank background and my computer won't even shut off. Please help?

2. simsaladimbamba

Press the power button, hold it down until the Mac shuts off, press it again and wait for the boot sequence to finish.

Why did you Force Quit "launchd" in the first place?

3. Jensilver thread starter macrumors newbie

I deleted it because I wasn't thinking at all obviously. I've been holding down my on/off switch for some time now and nothing is happening....

4. simsaladimbamba

How long do you hold the power button? Five to ten seconds should normally do the trick. If that does not work, you probably have to let the battery run of charge until the Mac shuts down itself.

If you don't know, what process is doing what while browsing Activity Monitor, just do a quick www search for the name and "mac process" as additional search terms, like "launchd mac process".

5. Jensilver thread starter macrumors newbie

While holding it down it prompts me to shut it down and when I agree nothing happens. I can tell I've got myself in a pickle because the fonts are all changed and weird too...

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Press and hold the button until the computer turns off. Do not release the button until it turns off.

7. simsaladimbamba

That is normal, as launchd is one important process. But simply pressing the power button once does not force a shutdown, it only presents you with the dialog you see. Again, how long have you held down the power button? Five to ten seconds should normally suffice to force shutdown.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

----------

Ah. I knew my comma was too much.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It likely was. I even missed it. Guess I should stop posting from my phone.

9. simsaladimbamba

It was not any kind of down talking, just maybe that my comma was too much and the post got misinterpreted. Or PEBCAK.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

PEBCAK for me. It's late here and I'm missing more than normal.

11. simsaladimbamba

Late? Bastard. Watched too much HBO or TNT I suppose. But then again, SHO has nothing to offer and Whisky is still in its infancy.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes late. It's 2:00 AM here and I have work tomorrow. Been spending all night playing GameCube.

13. simsaladimbamba

Then off you go, don't waste your time here, east cost hip pop junkie.

It is currently 8 in the morning and I am finishing another shift of dreadful ****. Ahh, computer access will be the death of me.