Really need a better way to arrange application icons...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Scott6666, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

I have 9 screens worth of applications. Seems like every time I update or restore they go all over the place to whatever screen they want to.

Moving them all around by dragging is really stupid. At this point I only move to the front my favorite applications and I just find the rest when I need them.

We really need a desktop app to let you rearrange the application icons and then push that to the phone.

Does anyone know how the icon positions are kept in the iPhone and what could be written to set the locations?

2. TwiceNightly macrumors 6502

TwiceNightly

If you're on the latest firmware then whenever you update an app the icon stays in the same position.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is true but there needs to be a better way to arrange them anyway. The fact is moving them across three pages is horrific, I can't imagine moving them across nine. I will move mine here and there depending upon use. Eventually some wind up totally removed. So while 2.1 fixed the whole "we're going to decide where you want this app" deal, the drag and drop is cumbersome to say the least.

4. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i have to agree as well, especially trying to drag an icon to another page, its a shame we cant have folders without jailbreaking, id rather make 2 taps to get to something than to swipe over 2 pages. Also anyone else think a nice addition to iTunes could be in the form of an icon manager, where you can move around your icons and then sync up and they get moved instead of painful dragging.

5. Scott6666 thread starter macrumors 65816

Scott6666

On an update I think you are right. But I've had a few things crashing more and more so I did a backup, then a full restore (cleared the phone by HOME-USB cable). When the restore was done apps were all over the place.

6. candyman macrumors regular

I think that would be the easiest way to do it right now, until they would figure out an easier way to manage them on the phone itself.

The same way you manage your music and iPhoto albums to your phone. I'm up for better iTunes Application integration for management of icons!

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This seems like a good idea to me.

8. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

would i send that in under iphone feedback or itunes feedback? Is there even itunes feedback?