really need advice..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmms8, Aug 11, 2010.

1. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i am not to sure if this is the proper forum to post on.. but on another forum site i purchased a bnib iphone 4 32 gb factory unlocked from a member and paid 850 for it. basically he stated that the phone was shipped yesterday and that he was going out of town for a week.. he did not give me a tracking number.

i paid through paypal. i pmed him yesterday without a response regarding the tracking number.. he was online after i sent the message so i know he got it..

since the item is almost a grand i am now a little nervous... can someone please help me with what steps i should maybe take to either A. get authorities involved, B. wait, or C. relax..

i do have his cell phone number. ive been calling restricted and after a few times i think he changed his vm machine from a personal one to the automated one.. WHICH IS WHY I AM VERY VERY NERVOUS.

please help me.. i paid $6 from a website to get his name and address as a start.. i will hopefully get that info by friday.. any help is truly appreciated. thanks!

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Put a hold on the money you sent him via PayPal (open a case about it through paypal on the money you sent him) and explain the reason you did like on this post.

He will start responding once he notices the money is being held from him until he takes action.

3. rwd hero macrumors 6502

If he didn't get a tracing number when he shipped the phone, he wouldn't have one to give you. I would give it at least 10 days before i started to freak.

4. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

thanks for your input.. this sounds like my best plan of action right now..

hey thanks for your input.. thing is, he stated that his wife sent the phone and he would get me the #... but he never did.. he said he was going out of country last night but his cell still rings..

all other input is greatly appreciated!

5. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

The reason I say this is because he didn't keep one part of his end of the deal. He never sent you a Tracking Number so you have no verification from him that he actually shipped the package.

I'd advise you to put a hold on the money through PayPal as soon as possible.

6. bobab8ey macrumors member

Got a link to the page where you bought it? Was it an auction site? Or just some kind of advertisement he put up?

7. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

thank you jare, i am on the phone with paypal now.

8. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

No problem. In the WORST case scenario for the seller he forgot to give you a tracking number and has to give one to paypal before they give him back the money, verifying that he did indeed send the package.

Either that, or he didn't send the package at all and now is not scamming you any money. :D

9. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

it was on another forum like macrumors.. i am sorry but i dont feel comfortable posting the thread here because i dont want to cause any problems.

10. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

the paypal lady was very nice over the phone.. she said its best to wait 7 days since the seller does have that long to send me the phone.. she also stated i had buyer protection so i should be fine...

thanks again.

11. bobab8ey macrumors member

Fair enough. How about copy/paste the text of his auction/ad, and remove any references to the site? I think we'd just be interested in the item description and sale terms and how he worded everything.

12. Andru1313 macrumors regular

Yah I would give it some time... If the seller stops corresponding with you then you have cause for concern. Also did you pay via credit card using paypal? If so you can also stop the payment on the Credit card through your credit card company.. You are protected just will be a headache.

13. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

sure i understand.. i will post our PM's after this post..

thanks.. i did use a debit card so hopefully the bank will be of use... i know the president of the bank fairly well so i am sure he can help if anything goes down hill

14. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

here are our PMs

MONDAY

me: hey there. i can offer 800 cad shipped to USA. i can send over money now. tia.

him: Hi Tia,

The cheapest I can possibly do for shipping to the States is 850 Canadian, the exchange rate and shipping costs kill me.
    Let me know.

me: hey sorry my name is -------, not tia tia = thanks in advance

but anyways, is this a factory unlocked iphone 4? 16 GB? can you send me a pic with a paper with (user name) 123 on a paper next to it? 800 is really the most i can do sir, like i stated, i can paypal you asap. thanks! you can mms me pic to -------.. we can also text if youd like. thanks.

me: hey thanks for the pic and texts, have you sold anything else on (forum name)?

him: No problem, better safe then sorry right?

Yeah I've been on (forum name) for maybe 5 years? It should say in my profile I think....
    I've sold maybe 15-20 phones on here and bought just as much as well...
    I know their is a feedback tool or something but I've never bothered, I usually just do quick local sales, but it seems the iphone 4 is an american thing lol

me: oh okay cool. how long will the shipping take to san diego CA? i am really interested so please hold it for me for a few minutes.

him: Hey,
    I've had a few other inquiries but nothing concrete as of yet, so I'll keep you posted.

I would ship via Canada Post Standard International Parcel (it's the cheapest way) and it should take 5-7 business days to california, depending on customs.

him: If you want I can also ship express via Fed-ex or UPS, but it would add another $50-$75 to the price.

me: oh i see... yeah normal postage is fine.. will it be insured?

him: lol yeah i'll spend the extre $1.50 to insure it

me: okay cool. well i think we have ourselves a deal... do you have a sim to micro sim cutter with micro sim to sim coversion piece.. i have no idea what they are called but i hope you know what i am talking about?

him: To be completely honest I couldn't tell you. I know that the phone will arrive sealed and comes with a standard micro sim included, but i don't know if its carrier specific or not. However I do know that you can just literally cut the simcard you use now with scissors and it'll work, just make sure you follow the outline exactly and don't cut into the sim chip itself.

me: okay, to be clear... this is a BNIB Apple iPhone 4 bought in Canada. It is "factory unlocked" which means it is not tied down to any carrier and it does not belong to a certain carrier. It is black in color and is the 32GB version. It comes factory sealed with all accessories included that are listed on the http://www.apple.com/ca/iphone/ website?

him: You can check out this video on how to do it yourself, I have a couple buddies that went this route and it worked out well for them, doesn't seem too complicated, apparently its literally a three minute procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LebM5...eature=related

him: LOL

Yes your correct. I waited in line for 17 hours for them, so they better be legit. :p
    And yes, it's factory unlocked from Apple, meaning it will work on ANY gsm carrier in the world and does not require jail-breaking to activate.

me: okay great, can you also please tell me the 4th and 5th numbers in the serial number? they should be on the box near the bar code.

him: Yeah sure...

the first 5 numbers are 85025? Does that make sense?

me: hey thanks. okay cool. can you ship tomorrow? and also i need to have your paypal information please.

him: Yeah I can even ship it out today if you'd prefer, I'd rather have this taken care of sooner rather then later you know...I'm sure you would as well.

PayPal Info:
    (info)

Send me your full mailing address details and I can also email or text you tonight once the phone has been sent so you know it's on its way. Also if you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to shoot me off a message or text.

Let me know if you need anything else...

me: hey that would be cool to ship it out today too... the thing is my billing address for paypal will be different than the shipping address.. will that be a problem? please let me know. thanks.

him: Okay perfect so I'll have it sent out this evening and send you a confirmation..

As far as the address, its not a problem at all, I'll ship it anywhere you want it sent (within North America lol). I think the only time you need to have the same shipping address as your paypal account is when you buy from certain sellers on ebay, but I could be wrong. Either way its definitely not an issue here lol

me: ok cool man. ill let you know once i transfer it over.. thanks again.

him: Perfect, I'll shoot you a message confirming it's been received. Enjoy your new phone!

me: Hey (name), please confirm that you received the payment? thanks!

I did just receive the payment. Your quick lol.

The address attached to paypal account is as follows...
    (info)

But you wanted it send to San Diego correct?
    Let me know the exact shipping address you'd like me to use.

me: Hey great! the address is as follows:
    (info)

Thank you again (name). Please provide shipping address when you ship it.

him: Perfect. Thanks again, pleasure doing business. I'll keep you posted.

me: you too (name), take care!

me: hey man you get that tracking number for me please? thanks!

him: Hey, sorry just about to leave work now and head to the post office, should have it for you shortly

Just got home, missed out on the post office, apparently they close at 6pm. Didn't want to just throw it in a drop box. I'll have it out for you tomorrow with a tracking number. TTYL.

me: Okay sure please let me know when you ship it, thanks again

TUESDAY

me: hey man, i havent heard from you, can you please give me an update? thanks!

him: Hey!

Sorry about the delay, my wife was supose to take care of this earlier in the day for me as I've been crazy busy at work, but I just got confirmation its been sent, so all is well and you should have it shortly. I'm taking off tonight on a business trip until next thursday, so I may be a little slow in replying to emails/messages (not sure how solid data service is in Cuba), but everything seems good to go and you should have the phone by the time I return if customs aren't too harsh lol.

Thanks for your business again and stay in touch. If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to shoot me off a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Cheers,

me: Hey (name)thanks for your response! Can you please get me the tracking number before you go and will i track it on usps? or another carrier? thanks take care and have a safe trip!

me: Hey (name) I need that tracking number. I called and texted you as well. Please get that to me as I need it.

That is the last of our conversation. he seemed very pleasant but has not gotten back to me since 4:41 cst yesterday.. and he has logged on to see my last two PMs

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Knowing someone like that should make your life a little easier for sure :p

Best of luck with everything.